CCNA/CCNP at 40 ?

Hi guys,

I need your opinion about starting a career in IT at 40. I have a degree in telecommunications engineering 3-class grad in 2000. I have 4 years experience in telecommunications installations mainly cabling (BT and Marconi). That's about it. Currently I work for a small firm as CATV/broadband installer. I registed with some IT agencies but so far haven't got a single interview. Is it my age? And if it is will CCNP make any difference.

Reply to
tim
Loading thread data ...
40 better not be too old. I am 45 and just got my first IT job.

Tarvos

Reply to
Tarvos{k}

i know people doing CCNA's at 40, its porbably better you are more focussed, do the CCNA, it gets you sorted out with all the protocols and router config, you really cant start at CCNP unless you have experience with cisco routers before, the telecoms stuff you have done will help you no doubt, but start at CCNA you can complete it in less than a year if you work hard

Reply to
Christo

I'm 33 and I've been in IT for about 14 years. I've also held my CCPN cert for around 4 years or so. If I had it to do over, I don't know that I would have not gone into IT/networking. However, if I had another skill set (and because of the way the industry is going) I'd might consider leave IT altogether. The problem is that I can't just go into another career and make the same amount of money. Don't get me wrong, it was never about the money, but I'm the sole income source for my family. Maybe I'm just at a crossroads - maybe I'm going through my mid-life crisis 10 years early... :-)

Seriously, networking has been good to me and deep down inside I still love it. Maybe I just need to step it up a notch and think about doing my own thing, consulting, whatever. It seems that many long time IT guys reach this point. Maybe you could learn this lesson a few years early. You've got some experience. Get your cert and gain additional experience, and try to do something other than work for someone who will treat you as a commodity.

I don't know if any of this helped. My point was to let you know that Cisco certs and experience won't insulate you from the things now plaguing IT. I'm becoming more convinced that striking out on one's own is probably the best way to handle the uncertainty that seems to be growing.

Does anyone else out there concur? Or, am I just rambling? :-)

Reply to
slim

My opinion is do everything you do to the fullest, don't look at what other people have because your always going to find someone who has more. I'm also studying for the CCNP and its hard but rewarding when things come together. I turned 24 last week and have 4 years experiance in IT, this said there is someone at my job who is also 24 and going for his Triple CCIE!!! Don't be prideful if someone knows more or is more experianced and younger then you, just take away the knowledge that they give you and move on. I don't think 40 is to old to start anything. I have a wife and a 1 year old son and it is hard to study when you have those responsiblites along with work. The only downfall about starting a carrer a little later in IT is that you won't be getting paid as much as someone the same age with 20 years experiance; but this goes for all professions not just IT. My advice is get the CCNA and move on hard towards the CCNP, study during your lunch breaks and strive hard to be the best you can at your new postion.

Good Luck

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I have CCNA and now thinking of CCNP it just that there is a lack of interest shown to me by the agencies that holds me back. I live in UK.

Reply to
tim

where do you live Tarvos? I am in UK.

Reply to
tim

I have CCNA. But should I do CCNP the agencies doun't show any interest.

Reply to
tim

where do you live Tarvos? I am in UK.

Reply to
tim

I line in the US. I do however live in an area that doesn't have a lot of IT jobs available . Though when I finish my degree I will most likely be looking at moving to someplace with better oppurtunities.

Tarvos

Reply to
Tarvos{k}

I too live in the US; in the Suburbs of Manhattan. Very saturated IT field here too!!!!

Reply to
Matt

It's not a case of age, it's simply the job market is pretty competitive, there's a lot of competition out there. CCNP will make you more attactive than a 40 year old without a CCNP, that's for sure!

If it makes you feel any better, I spent a whole 7 months waiting for a job a couple of years ago, and this is with a CCNP & CCDP, plus an MCSE... although the IT job market has picked up since then..

Good luck! :)

tim wrote:

Reply to
Dave Bradley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.