CCNA Book - Sybex or Cisco Press?

You should really, really consider having at LEAST two sources to study from, and you just explained why yourself...

It is very helpful to have two (three is better) sources to study from in case some concepts are not clear enough. Writing styles change from author to author, and Wendell can explain some topics better what Richard or Tod did not... and viceversa...

Just one book is not enough, IMHO. I would not try the CCNA having had just one source of study, however that is just me, YMMW..

Also, few minutes in google searches can and will find enough material to keep you busy for weeks, just add a printer+toner .. ;-)

Good luck !

Reply to
rg
Loading thread data ...

Which single book is the best? I don't want to read Cisco Press AND Sybex. Lammle's writing style makes reading this stuff more entertaining than Cisco Press, BUT does it cover everything you need to pass? It seems each book gets it's share of bad reviews which makes purchasing very confusing.

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
nich326

Look at the Albert Truter discussion starting on 3/10.

Reply to
ted

Look at the Albert Truter discussion starting on 3/10.

Reply to
ted

Reply to
nich326

unfortunatly I can't give you a balanced opinion, but i can say that I used only the Sybex book and I passed with flying colours. So, if you're only getting one, I guess I'd have to recommend sybex.

Reply to
John Smith

for CCNA, the best book is surely the one from Sybex writen by Todd Lammle !!! 100% sure The guy knows where he is talking about, and that can NOT be said about the cisco books for CCNA The cisco for CCNA books contain (A LOT !!!!!) very stupid errors, they make you get confused all the time, and they are not even clear at all. Sometimes they go way to deep into some subject where it is not needed, while on other more important points they even "forget" to mention basic needs to correctly understand the subject. The book is chaoticly organized with a complex structure (with translation table) that corresponds to their online-course (networking-academy) For example: the chapter 1.2.3 may be 2.6.1 in the book, and 3.4.5 online :-/ this doesnt make since some chapters are trown in at friday just before 5 pm (u know what i mean with that) and other chapters in the networking-academy are not even found in the book. to make it completely complex: they have a version numbering for their books too :-) sounds logical until you found out that book 3.0 corresponds to 3.1 online (or was it reversed?)

The cisco CCNA writers have writen the book with an audiance of kids (stupid dudes) in mind. Things get repeated and repeated and .... yes once more repeated. All things are repeated 3 times troughout the whole book. This makes the book very hard to read and is compareble to "somebook for dummies" or "something-complex in 24 hours". In the end you will NOT have learned a solid foundation to pass the ccna exam !! The book is very dry to read too.

On the other hand, Todd has aranged the book in chapters that are consistent and solid. I have found only one or two typos (not serious errors) Sometimes he puts an amusing line between the text without touching the matter. It makes the book fun to read. His audiance are professionals that want to learn something, and he knows that. He is willing to give all he knows to make your understanding better. (in the cisco book, they keep a lot of important things hidden, as if they dont want you to know how it realy works) Todd is a teacher like a good old grandpa is, he takes the time to learn you something. cisco ccna books are commercial garbage, made to have a book like you can find thousends of those crap.

Todd has been thinking about the setup before he wrote the book. For example: each chapter contains one (or more) basic setups (say 3 routers, 2 switches and some wiring) He uses the same topology troughout the whole chapter so you can easely memorize them and assign the text you are reading to the topology.

to make it short: go buy the book from Todd man

Reply to
polleke

Reply to
packetboy

Good luck, and why don't you post how it went, and about the book, after everything is over, and after you have read the book and grabbed your Cert.

GO get them.. ;-) !!

Reply to
rg

I compared the Cisco Press and Sybex side-by-side in the bookstore and went with the Sybex. It reads better than CiscoPress. I also picked up the Exam Cram to practice with.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
nich326

Reply to
nich326

Oh, man, I am in your same boat. Just started to study to re-certify and am very interested in how it goes with you.. What's your time frame, when do you plan to take the test ? (you can also email me privately.

Reply to
rg

Thanks for all the info in this thread.... one more question here. There seem to be 3 "books" from Sybex (all published February 2005)

CCNA Deluxe Edition CCNA Certification Kit CCNA Study Guide

Any thoughts on these?

Thanx Syncme

Reply to
Syncme

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.