Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- CCNA - 801 experience.
February 7, 2005, 10:02 pm
rate this thread
My 2 cents worth for the CCNA (640-801) aspirants.
Took the exam today and passed with score in the 900s.
Here are some tips, in case you need them.
a. Expect the exam to be thorough content-wise and difficult to
finish within the alloted time.
b. High pass % (85%). So, you have to get around
47 correct answers out of 55 questions. Always keep this in mind.
c. Focus areas.
a. Be very thorough in ip addressing/subnets etc.,
* Got an entire simulation question on this.
* Got many questions on this.
b. Lots of switching questions.
* Be very clear on collision domains/broadcast domains
* VLANs - general ideas, recognize correct config etc.,
* Basic idea of VTP
* Trunking - many questions based on this. 802.1q.
* Ideas on bridge Id - priority
c. Lots of routing questions.
* Very clear on RIPv1,v2 - what it supports
* OSPF, IGRP and EIGRP - know to a good extent.
* DV and LS type distinction
* OSPF areas - backbone, RID, etc.,
* route summarization and auto summarization - diffs
d. Lots of FR questions, some ISDN dialer questions.
e. Many ACL, NAT questions also came.
d. Other stuff:
a. Many questions deal with scenarios - application of knowledge
rather than just plain testing of knowledge - many questions require
you to apply concepts from multiple areas - switching, routing etc., -
Know your stuff - no shortcuts.
b. It helped to write down subnet bits etc., in the scratch pad.
c. Pace yourself - always keep time in mind. 10 mins per
simulation is the max - you get around 3 simulations and many drag/drop
questions - no fill in the blanks questions for me.
d. Read question carefully and fully - some trick questions.
e. Prep stuff: (All comments here are my personal views)
a. Wendell odom book(2004 edition) is the best resource.
do all the prep questions/simulations and you should be good.
b. Lamle book mainly for subnetting and practice exams.
c. MUST DO practice tests - cisco netsim and lamle's routersim.
d. Semsim was practically useless for my prep. Lots of errors.
f. To expect no surprises, just work hard/know your stuff/work fast
in the exam.
Re: CCNA - 801 experience.
When I took it the pass mark was 849 IIRC so I assume it's the same and
you are taking that to be about 85%. IIRC some exams, like the CompTIA
ones have possible scores from 300 to 1000 which suggests that you get
300 points just for turning up and being able to use a computer. Do we
know for sure that Cisco exams have possible scores all the way from 0
-> The email address used in this message *IS* valid <-
- » Cisco Certification FAQ Part 1 Introduction (3:03:02)
- — Previous thread in » Cisco Certification
- » digital printing|custom printed packaging |computerized cutting services.
- — Newest thread in » Cisco Certification
- » Take This App and Call Me in the Morning [telecom]
- — The site's Newest Thread. Posted in » General Telecommunications Forum