Catalyst 1900 question

I now have access to a used Catalyst 1900 that has been taken out of service. I grabbed my laptop, (so old it even has a serial port) and hooked up my console cable. I got nothing whatsoever out of the 1900 using Hyperterminal and the specified settings. Thinking I might be stupid or something, I connected to a 2501 Router with my console cable and that came right up.

Can the 1900 be locked? If I press the reset switch would that bypass whatever locks might be in place, or do you think the 1900 is toast?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have two Router sims that have the 1900 in them, but I'd like to experience the real thing.

Thanks Ron Snipes New Bern, NC

Reply to
Ron Snipes
Loading thread data ...

do you get anything on the console while the switch is booting?

Reply to
L J

I get nothing whatsover on my Hyperterminal screen, before, during or after power is applied and POST. Using the same Hyperterminal and concole cable, I swapped out the 1900 for a

2501. That worked just fine, eliminating a bad cable. An engineer buddy suggested a higher than 9600 speed, so I'll try that next. POST appears normal looking at the indicator lights. I'll have access again this saturday, so I'll experiment more. Thanks Ron

Reply to
Ron Snipes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.