Catalyst 1900

I have bought a catalyst 1900 off from ebay for CCNA study and i have connected to the console port using a null modem cable and when i boot it up i get ATQ0H0

Any ideas how to get around this?

TIA

Reply to
Sneaky
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Wrong RS-232 Cable A null-modem cable is needed when attaching directly to terminals or other stations; a straight-through cable is needed when attaching to modems. ATQ0H0 may appear on the terminal screen.

Reply to
Youri Pasquier

Thats what i have been using - i got this cable from my mate who uses this one at work on their catalyst 1900's

Any more ideas or shalli give in on this?

Reply to
Sneaky

Are you *sure* you're plugged into the Console port and not the AUX port?

The AUX port is typically used to connect modems for out-of-band communication to remote sites. That ATQOH0 sure looks like a Hayes modem command. Check and see *exactly* what port you have the cable plugged into.

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

im sure this is in the console port

im not sure what else i can do?

Any ideas?

Reply to
Sneaky

Have a look here,

formatting link

"Sneaky" wrote:

Reply to
gene martinez

This sounds *really* familiar, but I can't recall exactly when I encountered it on a Cisco product before. Obviously, the switch is configured to treat the port as dial-up, and it's setting up an imaginary modem. If it won't let you talk to it anyway, you can do one of two things:

1) Get an old-fashioned modem, connect it to the port with an actual modem cable, and dial into it from the modem port on your laptop. (You'll need two phone lines for this.) 2) Perform the "password recovery" operation to boot the switch without using the startup-config. You'll need to look up the process for your specific model, but most devices involve using a "break" command during the very early phase of system boot. (Remember that certain terminal emulators don't always do "break" properly--test it first on something else.)
Reply to
Mike Dorn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.