Can't console into a 3500 series switch.

Ok, here's the deal.

I have this 3500 series switch sitting on my desk @ work that I want to use on a project. We're rolling out 100+ new workstations that all need to be reimaged. One of the hardware procurement guys gives me this Cisco 3500 switch to help in that process. It used to be part of the job's infrastructure but the guy who gave it to me has no other info about it. I can't console into it using the console port. When I try doing the password recovery, like how it's explained on Cisco's website, I get a few randon characters in my Terminal Emulator then nothing. My Terminal Emulator is set to 9600 N 8 1 on COM1.

One odd thing I noticed with this switch is when I turn it on - all of the port lights don't light up. Looks only the even numbered ones come on.

Any ideas? Thanks...

Theo

Reply to
Nay-Sayer
Loading thread data ...

Hi Theo,

You may wish to investigate Troubleshoot LEDs:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Salary and Compensation Rates
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

formatting link

Ok, when I power the switch up only ports 2, 4, 6, 10, 14, 18, and 22 illuminate. Also the System, RPS, and Speed LEDs illiminate....

Theo

Reply to
Nay-Sayer

Hi Theo,

If the interface has a status of down/down, perform these steps:

1. Verify a connection to the interface.

1. Check or swap cables and verify the operation of the end device.

2. Verify that the port LED status is green.

If the link LED is amber, the port may have failed the Power-On Self Test (POST).

To check, issue the show post command.

If the interface has failed POST, refer to the Troubleshooting and Understanding POST Failure Messages:

formatting link

1. If there is no link LED, make sure the interface is not administratively shutdown by issuing the show interface command.

1. If the interface status is down/down, swap cables. Verify the operation status of the end device and Network Interface Card (NIC).

For more information on NIC related issues, refer to:

Troubleshooting Cisco Catalyst Switches to NIC Compatibility Issues

formatting link
The cause for the interface status of administratively down/down is that the port is manually shutdown. To enable the interface, issue the no shutdown interface-level command.

1. If the interface is in up/up status and you are experiencing errors on the 3500XL, refer to this document:

Troubleshoot Interface Errors

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Two comments - how long do you leave it? Ask the guy if they have changed the console speed setting.

P.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

plus another cisco device into the switch and and issue the command 'show cdp nei detail' and hopefully you can also gather more information about the switch in question.

Reply to
john smith

A minute or two.

I did, he has no idea about the history of this device.

TNS

Reply to
Nay-Sayer

Give it about 5 to be sure it's up.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

No dice.

Reply to
Nay-Sayer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.