BGP Load Sharing

I am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this, any suggestions would be appreciated

Hub1 inter----Gateway1-----eBGP--MPLS Cloud--eBGP---Spoke 1 net | | net | iBGP MPLS net | | cloud--Gateway 2-----eBGP--MPLS Cloud--eBGP---Spoke 2 Hub2

In this configuration, All of the spokes (remote sites) are connected into the mpls cloud via BGP. They are advertising their local routes and therefore can reach other. In order for the spokes to reach networks which are NOT in their routing table,( such as any public internet address), they will have to send traffic to one of the gateways.

What I would like to do is be able to load share between the two gateways (Hubs).

For outbound traffic (toward the spokes) I know that I can use local preference to choose an AS exit path for specific spoke prefixes (this will allow me to load share traffic toward the spokes)

For inbound traffic I am a little confused on how to do it. I would like to advertise a default route to the spokes, but I want, for example, Spoke 1 to always use Gateway 1 and Spoke 2 to use Gateway 2. In the event of a failure on Gateway 1, all spokes should route to Gateway 2 and vice versa.

1. Is it possible to advertise a default gateway from each Hub? or will

the spokes only accept one of the default gateways?

1. Is there a way to force specific spokes to uses specific default gateways?
  2. Is there an even simpler way to achieve all of this?

My goal is to be able to load share the traffic from the spokes destined for the internet.

In my actual setup, there is actually 4 gateways and over 100 spokes.

Thanks.

Reply to
ciscortp
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.