Basic Setup to prepare for the 801 Exam

Hi,

I've managed to aquire a router and a couple of switches. Is this enough to form my basic testlab to help me prepare for the CCNA exam?

thanks in advance

Tucker

Reply to
Tucker
Loading thread data ...
3 routers would be ideal, you can grab 2500's off ebay fairly cheaply. Alternatively you could get a router simulator... I used Boson and was quite happy with it. 2 switches will be more than enough...not much on the exam about them anyway other than concepts.

Regards

Reply to
Robin Peters

thanks

Reply to
Tucker

Hi Tucker,

1 Router will be great for learning the IOS stuff, but won't help with routing. A 2500 series Router won't handle inter-vlan routing.

If you want to use a home lab, you need at least 1 router capable of inter-vlan routing and 2 more less-capable ones for 3 router labs. You'll need 2 2950 switches as well. 1900 series switches are a waste of time.

Your best bet is a Boson Sim for the heavy duty stuff (3 router labs, ospf elections etc) and the router you already have for learning the IOS (password recovery etc).

Bill

Reply to
Bill Sanders

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.