Bah...more problems..

Ok fellas, I almost made it to the part where I could copy my ios from one router to the other. (I could have, but wanted to test out my setup, and obviously if I'm here it failed.) Ok, here is my setup....

R1(s0)--------(s0)R2(s1)-----------(s0)R3(e0)------ (f0/1)SW(f0/2)--------PC

I can ping from my PC to my switch and from my switch to R3...but I can't ping from my PC to R3...I'm lost......Let me know if yall need me to send my config's...

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
Norm
Loading thread data ...

Is the switchport the router's connected to in the same vlan as the pc? Is that link up?

Reply to
BernieM

Oh and , yes, configs would help heaps.

Reply to
BernieM

Ok, I will send the configs in just a second. And no I do not have switchport access vlan or switchport mode access in the configs because I thought if you did not define that, it puts all ports on VLAN1, which is your switch VLAN. Am I wrong in thinking this? Or do I have to put the "gateway port" to the rest of the network on it's own VLAN and assign individual ports to it? I'm about to send the config in the next post.

Thanks!

Reply to
Norm

On Mar 6, 2:34 am, "BernieM" wrote:

All I want to do right now is ping across my network, which I typed a generic diagram of in the original post..Here is my switch config:

sh run Building configuration...

Current configuration: ! version 11.2 no service pad no service udp-small-servers no service tcp-small-servers ! hostname 2924Catalyst-Training ! enable secret 5 $1$ueA2$ecZZM3cl1Jm39ZMTAu3Lk/ ! ! ! clock timezone EST 0 ! interface VLAN1 ip address 192.168.21.1 255.255.255.0 no ip route-cache ! interface VLAN2 ip address 192.168.18.2 255.255.255.0 no ip route-cache shutdown ! interface FastEthernet0/1 switchport access vlan 2 ! interface FastEthernet0/2 switchport access vlan 2 ! interface FastEthernet0/3 ! interface FastEthernet0/4 ! interface FastEthernet0/5 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/6 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/7 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/8 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/9 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/10 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/11 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/12 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/13 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/14 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/15 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/16 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/17 ! interface FastEthernet0/18 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/19 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/20 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/21 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/22 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/23 spanning-tree portfast ! interface FastEthernet0/24 ! interface FastEthernet2/1 ! interface FastEthernet2/2 ! interface FastEthernet2/3 ! interface FastEthernet2/4 ! ip default-gateway 192.168.18.1 snmp-server community private RW snmp-server community public RO snmp-server chassis-id 0x10 ! line con 0 password cisco login stopbits 1 line vty 0 4 login line vty 5 9 login ! end

2924Catalyst-Training#
Reply to
Norm

From your other post ... "And no I do not have switchport access vlan or switchport mode access in the configs because I thought if you did not define that, it puts all ports on VLAN1,"

So why do fa0/1 and fa0/2 have :"switchport access vlan 2" configured?

And vlan 2 interface is shutdown? You said you could ping the router from the switch but the interface connected to the router is in vlan 2 and vlan 2 interface is shutdown.

The switches vlan interface being shutdown won't affect pinging the router from the pc though. As long as R3's e0 interface is configured with a

192.168.18.0/24 address.
Reply to
BernieM

Yeah I added that in after I read the posts about vlans and I still couldn't ping across the switch. I even plugged my laptop directly into the e0 on R3 and I couldn't ping the e0 from DOS on the laptop. So I'm really confused now... I can't ping through the switch and I can't ping the router when my laptop is directly plugged in so I guess it's a problem with my laptop or my router recognizing my laptop.

Reply to
Norm

Ok, got it working, seems I have to have all the networks the same..like so:

Router(e0): 192.168.18.1 Switch(VLAN1): 192.168.18.2 My Laptop: 192.168.18.3

go figure..thanks for pointing me in the right direction...it wont be the last time im sure..

Reply to
Norm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.