Baby Boomer Seeking CCNA Certification

I'm 54 with little Cisco experience. I flunked the 640-801 test (647) after studying with SkillPath CBT's and CertBlasters. Can anyone tell me if the study materials were a bad choice and also, is it too late for me to get into the Cisco arena?

Reply to
Hawk
Loading thread data ...

It's never too late.

Have you worked in IT? How much computer experience do you have?

I'm 43 and have primarily worked with linux for the past ten years. I'm taking the 640-802 Cisco Netacademy courses through a local community college, mostly with kids half my age. Right now I'm taking switching and wireless, the third of four 8-week classes. It's a lot of work but I believe you get out what you put in.

Personally, I think memorizing brain dumps is the wrong way to go. How much are you going to remember six months down the road if/when you're actually handed a router to configure? IMHO, you're better off taking the classes and putting the time in.

Reply to
Carbon

Thanks Carbon for the info...

Carb>

Reply to
Bellagio

I agree , it's never too late. I'm 46 and just started my CCNA (CCENT) online training. I'm trying to go through the whole program and finally get my CCIE by the end of 2008. It's a hell of a lot of work and requires tons of revciew over and over and over.

Does anyone know how I can get virtual labs to configure stuff ?

Reply to
epsteinowen2

You just started your CCNA and are looking towards a CCIE before the end of the year????? One step at a time please or you may fall. Please target the CCNP next and put off the thoughts of the CCIE until you finish the CCNP/CCSP/CCDP/CCIP/CCVP or whichever "professional" level exam that you select to be next. Rememeber that the CCNP (if you continue in support certification) is 4 additional tests beyond the 1 CCNA test. If you are stuck on test #1 of 5 then consider that the BIG #6 will be more of an undertaking. CCIE is a written pre-qualification ($300?) followed by the immense on-site lab ($1250?) which brags an average 70% fail rate. Going CCNA and then proceeding onto CCNP with a lateral additional CCVP, CCDP, or CCSP can be very benficial.

Hawk, for CCNA training and study, I recommend Wendel Odom's CCNA study guide book because of his work as an author: ISBN 1587201836 /

978-1587201837. Anything by him is a pretty decent book because of his complete discussion of topics. I highly recommend his work.

C = Cisco C = Certified ? = Whatever you selected: Networking, Voice, Design, Security, Internetwork . . . ? = Whatever level you are: Associate, Professional, Expert

Reply to
Scott Perry

Dude- I am a CISCO alumni, (newly so) stick with it.... Life experience is worth its weight in gold, and reflects the reliability of the engineer. Go for it and become more positive in your thinking than you have ever been.

Good luck----- DO IT. snipped-for-privacy@dennispatton.co.uk

p> >>> I'm 54 with little Cisco experience. I flunked the 640-801 test (647)

Reply to
den patton

I am using the same tools (SkillPath CBT) - but, also I'm using several internet resources and the ICND1/ICND2 series of books by Odom. I would recommend using multiple sources of material. SkillPath takes a different approach then the Odom books. I am doing the online with SkillPath but also using a lot of other books for review material. Hope that helps! Also, once I found my footing I was able to feel much more comfortable with the process of studying and learning after 20 years of not taking any source of academic training.

Reply to
epsteinowen2

Scott thanks for the information - Do you know how I can get virtual labs to configure routers, etc... ?

Reply to
epsteinowen2

Reply to
Bellagio

Scott, I amused at what I wrote in the original thread, I meant getting my CCNA, I obviously made a mistake. CCIE is not in my radar at all as I understand that years of experience in Enterprise networking provide me with the best preparation for a CCIE. Thanks for the advice on study materials.

Scott Perry wrote:

Reply to
Bellagio

Dynamips. Google it.

Derick Winkworth CCIE #15672

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
ccie15672

Hi there,

Here is a link to a CCNA Lab Simulator:

formatting link

Although it mentions INTRO & ICND, the former CCNA curriculum, it has been updated to reflect ICND1 & ICND2 the current CCNA curriculum. It retails at $150, unlimited lifetime license. You can email snipped-for-privacy@t2000inc.com to order. We also have CCNA lab racks, I could see about renting you lab time.

Carbon, thanks for the plug for training! I work for a Cisco Learning Solutions Partner, Tech 2000. We have been a tier-1 partner since 99, but have been doing Cisco and IT training for much longer. I know there are a lot of self-study options out there, and that not everyone can afford the cost of an official Cisco training class or the time. That's what I like about Tech 2000, though, we have all sorts of learning options, e-Learning and instructor led. We have a very creative approach to helping our customer achieve the training (or certification) goals they have. And we work with all kinds of budgets to help people obtain their goals. For anyone on this group, please don't hesitate to contact me!

formatting link
Hope this information helps,

Laura

Reply to
laura.mattis

Hi there,

Here is a link to a CCNA Lab Simulator:

formatting link
Although it mentions INTRO & ICND, the former CCNA curriculum, it has been updated to reflect ICND1 & ICND2 the current CCNA curriculum. It retails at $150, unlimited lifetime license. You can email snipped-for-privacy@t2000inc.com to order. We also have CCNA lab racks, I could see about renting you lab time.

Carbon, thanks for the plug for training! I work for a Cisco Learning Solutions Partner, Tech 2000. We have been a tier-1 partner since 99, but have been doing Cisco and IT training for much longer. I know there are a lot of self-study options out there, and that not everyone can afford the cost of an official Cisco training class or the time. That's what I like about Tech 2000, though, we have all sorts of learning options, e-Learning and instructor led. We have a very creative approach to helping our customer achieve the training (or certification) goals they have. And we work with all kinds of budgets to help people obtain their goals. For anyone on this group, please don't hesitate to contact me!

formatting link
Hope this information helps,

Laura

nice ad!

Reply to
eager

Hawk,

Never too late man. Always learn, and learn all ways...!

finding a start-up job might be a challenge though, unless you have server experience to couple your newly-acquired CCNA.

I started my CCNA almost 10 years ago now, and I just picked up a book and studied it. CBTs are okay for refresher type of study, but IMHO if you're just starting, read the book. You don't have to remember all of the book, but you'd be surprised down the road at how much information actually stick in your head.

Theiss.

Reply to
Theiss

Thanks dude

Theiss wrote:

Reply to
Bellagio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.