Area border router Vs Designated Router in OSPF protocol

Hi

In the OSPF protocol, i am confused with Area border router and Designated router.

my question is what is the relation between these two kind of routers?.

by Dhinakraan

Reply to
dhina.jayavelu
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

An Area border router is a router which bridges where to defined areas meet. This router knows the routes from both areas.

The Designated router is the router which stands at the hierarchical top where routing updates are concerned.

Regards Wouter

Reply to
wouter

The only relation is that they run OSPF.

An ABR is the router that joins two areas together. Area Boundary Router. they can have any interfaces - it is perfectly possible to have an ABR that has serial links only.

A designated router is a totally diffrent concept.

Without the DR facility, you could have maybe ten routers on a LAN. They would all have to be full neighbours with each other.

The DR concept is that pic a DR and BDR, and they will have the full neighbour ith all routers, but in my scenario the other eight would only fully establish wth two,

Reply to
Paul Matthews

ABR (area border router) is a box that connects to 2 or more areas - in other words ABRs give the topology of the area to area connectivity. ABR is a box config issue.

DR is the router that is maintaining the topology for OSPF for a specific multicast subnet - 1 router may be elected DR for a large number of different interfaces - election happens per interface when a router joins or leaves the subnet.

they are different functions in OSPF. They are independent of each other.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.