AES vs IPS

Hello All,

Anyone from the network security or related to tht field could please elaborate the difference between Advanced Encryption Standard(AES) and Intrusion Prevention System (IPS), or they are one and the same?? I went thru wikipedia, bt cldn't figure out the differences between thm, if any.

Thanks in advance for your inputs

Regards, Ank

Reply to
Ank
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

They are two different "things".

AES is an encryption algorithm like DES, Twofish, etc. An IPS instead is used just as its acronym suggests: to prevent an intrusion to a protected network. There are many kinds of methods to do this: some of them are: using a pattern to discover "bad things" entering the protected network, use a statistical approach to determine anomal traffic entering the protected network, etc. An IDS ( Intrusion Detection System ) is like an IPS but it only monitors the traffic ( so it has not to be "in-line" ) and do not proactively protect the network ( it just logs ).

I just give you a small ( not very accurate and surely not comprehensive ) picture.... online you can find lots of info about this subject.

Regards, Gabriele

"Ank" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

This is not true at all. IDS can of course be proactive, it can send shuns, tcp resets and even ACL's to a device to block the traffic, it does a whole lot more than just log. IPS can act the exact same way, it can also be configured to simply drop the traffic as it passes thru, or it can be configured to just log. The advantage to IPS is a faster reaction time against the attack. In the milliseconds it takes for IDS to send the commands to a blocking device the IPS could have already droped the traffic.

Reply to
Brian V

Hi,

yes, you're right regarding current IDS capabilities. However if an IDS is put on an RMON like port it cannot block traffic itself, it can only log or act by signalling other devices to do something. Current generation IDS and IPS have more things in common then not.

Regards, Gabriele

"Brian V" ha scritto nel messaggio news:kK6dnSG4rt8xYijYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

IPS is designed to detect attempts to hack into computer networks.

AES is used to encrypt data

They are completely different. I suggest you look at wikipedia again.

Reply to
John Peterson

Thanks to all who had put their comments on to get my doubts cleared.

Thanks once again

Regards, Ank

Reply to
Ank

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.