640-801 Practical Question

Hello all. Have finally got a little lab up and running at home: PC workstation ->switch1 ->router1 -> router2 -> Switch2 ->PC server. Full details below.

Two problems:

1) When all powered up I can ping and telnet all the way across from the workstation (Win 2K Prof) to the server (Win 2K Advanced Server) but nothing appears in network neighbourhood etc. I'm guessing that's a WINS server issue, if so apologies as this is a cisco group.

2) A soon as I connect to my ISP I loose connectivity on the home network. Once on-line I can get only as far as the near end of the router - not even to the serial port.

Any help appreciated. Hopefully the above and below is enough info. Please be aware that this was only set up over the weekend, so I could have easily left out an obvious step (which would be my guess - if so please no flames! Especially as I'm trying to do this "for real", and not using Tesstking or whatever). Also, the IP addresses went in from some work ones (force of habit) and thusly are not the standard public ones..

Thanks in advance,

PM

Switch2:

IP: 194.1.1.253

Console pw = switch2

Port2 = W2K server (194.1.1.3)

Port1 = Router2

Router2:

PW = cisco

E0 IP = 194.1.1.254

S0 IP = 196.1.1.254

telnet pw = router2

Router1:

Pw = secret

E0 IP = 193.1.1.254

S0 IP = 196.1.1.253

Vt pw = toast (change to router1)

Switch1:

IP: 193.1.1.253

Port1 = W2K Prof workstation (193.1.1.2)

Port3 = Router1

Reply to
Paul Morris
Loading thread data ...

Ahh... one more thing. Got these off ebay, so I used the password recovery method to startme off. I assume this does clear everything?

PM

Reply to
Paul Morris

Make sure you don't have security software running somewhere that is causing problems on the LAN.

Reply to
greedo

Change to public IP's first. Just to prevent possible routing problems. If your internetconnection still fails, tell us on which machine your internet is connected.. ( WS, server, bb-router etc...)

Cas...

Reply to
Cas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.