3550 Switch + Load Balancing

I have a Cisco 3550, and a $20,000 Nortel load balancer that is managed by AT&T. Recently we decided to buy the equipment and do it ourselves. I really don't want to buy the nortel if I don't need to.

The only thing we load balance is ports 80, and 443 between 2 servers.

I read an article saying that I can do load balancing on the Cisco 3550 if it has the EMI software image.

Is it possible for me to do this? Or is this a different type of load balancing.

If it is possible is there a good configuration doc out there? I've been fishing around on Google, but keep hitting the same article that doesn't describe the setup at all.

Thanks

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

Hi Eric,

You may wish to investigate this Cisco Link:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

I think you should consider Cisco CSS switches. I don't think 3550 could do such type of load balancing, with EMI you have support for various routing protocols which could perform load balancing across various IP paths but this is not application aware load balancing.

Reply to
Robert Emert

"Eric" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

The 3550 switch is a layer 3 switch. and you wish to do layer 4 load balancing...

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.