2950 setup issues

Ok. So I installed a 2nd 2950 switch in our company to expand our network. I followed the express setup directions throughly and to the best of my ability.

I go to 10.0.0.1 and the express setup page appears. i fill out the fields. IP Address 192.168.1.69 for the switch, since our network schema is using the 192.x.x.x address. Gateway points to the the router which is 192.168.1.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 and the passwords.

I click submit and supposedly saves the new config to the new switch. As instructed i then install the switch to the production network. I do this by plugging in port 1 in the new switch to port 16 on the production switch. I then connect the pc to the production network also. The PC connects fine and refesh its IP from 10.0.0.2 to

192.168.1.24. The switch to switch connections on the other hand seems to be having issues connecting as i see the leds on both ports are off.

I really hope what im saying makes sense. What am i doing wrong? Am i using the wrong cable for the switch to switch connection? Should i use a crossover cable instead of a straight through to establish connections? I also tried the open gig ports and i get the same results. I tried going to the 192.168.1.69 to go to the device manager, but of course it didnt work. Any help and advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
dizzl3
Loading thread data ...

Ok. So I installed a 2nd 2950 switch in our company to expand our network. I followed the express setup directions throughly and to the best of my ability.

I go to 10.0.0.1 and the express setup page appears. i fill out the fields. IP Address 192.168.1.69 for the switch, since our network schema is using the 192.x.x.x address. Gateway points to the the router which is 192.168.1.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 and the passwords.

I click submit and supposedly saves the new config to the new switch. As instructed i then install the switch to the production network. I do this by plugging in port 1 in the new switch to port 16 on the production switch. I then connect the pc to the production network also. The PC connects fine and refesh its IP from 10.0.0.2 to

192.168.1.24. The switch to switch connections on the other hand seems to be having issues connecting as i see the leds on both ports are off.

I really hope what im saying makes sense. What am i doing wrong? Am i using the wrong cable for the switch to switch connection? Should i use a crossover cable instead of a straight through to establish connections? I also tried the open gig ports and i get the same results. I tried going to the 192.168.1.69 to go to the device manager, but of course it didnt work. Any help and advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
dizzl3

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Catalyst 2950 Config Wizard:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese

2007 Cisco Salary Rates
formatting link
Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Reply to
jimcanon

Thanks for the tips guys,

Ok so heres the situation. I got the xover cables. Installed it to gig port1 on the production switch to gig port 1 on the new switch.

The LEDs turned to both solid greens.

So with my PC connected back to the production network, i try to ping the ip address of the new switch which is 192.168.1.69 and i get timeouts and i try to see if i can open the device manager in the browser and it wont connect.

So i then unplugged my pc from the producti> You need to use a xover

Reply to
dizzl3

How is the link between the two switches configured? Trunk? What vlans need to be trunked? What vlan are you using for switch management? Have you created the necessary vlans on the switch? Perhaps your using vlan 1 everywhere so this doesn't matter. Is the vlan interface 'up' on the new switch. btw .. whether the management interface is up or not won't affect your ability to connect a pc to the switch and access the production network. That problem is to do with the state of the link between the two switches. The vlan interface is solely for switch management.

Can you connect a console cable to the new switch and do a quick port config? If you want to trunk all vlans here's a typical config for both ends of the link:

switchport switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport mode trunk switchport nonnegotiate spanning-tree bpduguard disable by default all vlans are trunked so the config line "switchport trunk allowed vlan all" won't appear

I don't know what the size of your network is but are you aware of vtp and spanning-tree? Do you need to know the status of your new switch in regard to these technologies before you connect it to the network?

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Reply to
dizzl3

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.