2500 flash

I would venture to guess the first partition holds IOS 11.0(13) but named a little oddly. It may be what your unit is booting to.

Enter SH VER at the prompt to verify.

The second partition appears to contain IOS 12.0(25). Robert

Reply to
Bob by the Bay
Loading thread data ...

Stuart, The 2500 is a "boot from flash" model, which means when it boots normally (configuration register is set to 0x2102) it locks down flash (you cannot delete files in this mode) and refers to it as read only. There is no difference in the actual flash SIMMs.

You need to change the config register to 0x2101 in order to change the contents or partitioning of the flash.

r1> en r1# conf t r1(config)# config-register 0x2101 r1(config)# exit r1# reload (no need to save)

when the unit reboots from minimal ROM boot image, flash will be read-write

r1(boot)>

then you can go into config mode and delete an image, change the partition, TFTP a new image, etc.

Also you'll need to delete one of the IOS images to be able to repartition the flash as one image. Then you can use the "no partition flash" command in IOS 12.0 in config mode.

Configuration Registers The global configuration command - config-register is used to modify the behaviour of the router. Weather or not it boots from saved configuration. Weather or not it boots from the flash or the boot-proms.

The following page is an excellent reference for configuration registers

formatting link
In summary these Boot Registers are quite handy:

a.. The value range is from 0x0 to 0xFFFF. b.. 0x2102 is the factory-default configuration register value. c.. 0x2142 boots from flash without using NVRAM contents good for password recovery. d.. 0x2101 boots from boot prom image not flash, good for upgrading image on flash. e.. 0x2141 boots from boot prom and ignores NVRAM contents. f.. 0x141, which disables the Break key, ignores the NVRAM configuration, and boots the default system image from ROM.

Reply to
Bob by the Bay

Stuart, I don't know the answer to that. I would test TFTP ahead of time, perhaps with the partition you are willing to part with, in order to be certain.

Robert

formatting link
>

Reply to
Bob by the Bay

Hello,

I've picked up a couple of 2500 routers to do some training for the CCNP. I'm wondering if I can upgrade the IOS? Could anyone explain to me the following.

System flash directory, partition 1: File Length Name/status 1 6418792 ij11013n [6418856 bytes used, 1969752 available, 8388608 total]

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

System flash directory, partition 2: File Length Name/status 1 7657768 c2500-is-l.120-25.bin [7657832 bytes used, 730776 available, 8388608 total]

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

What is stored on the first flash? I can see the second has the IOS on it.

Thanks

Reply to
Stuart Wilcox

Hi Robert, thanks for replying.

I'd forgotten sh ver :-(

Apparently it's booting the IOS off of the read only flash... the file called ij11013n. Is there anything to stop me replacing the read only flash with a read/write one, then merging the two partitions (is that possible?) so I can put a larger IOS on it, that has VPN support?

The router came from a bank, would that be a reason (security?) why the IOS was on read only memory?

sh ver.... Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-J-L), Version 11.0(13), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 09-Dec-96 19:48 by athavale Image text-base: 0x030348D8, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c)XB1, PLATFORM SPECIFIC RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) ROM: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c)XB1, PLATFORM SPECIF IC RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 6 minutes System restarted by power-on System image file is "flash:ij11013n", booted via flash

cisco 2521 (68030) processor (revision K) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory. Processor board ID 06896746, with hardware revision 00000003 Bridging software. SuperLAT software copyright 1990 by Meridian Technology Corp). X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant. TN3270 Emulation software (copyright 1994 by TGV Inc). Basic Rate ISDN software, Version 1.0.

1 Token Ring/IEEE 802.5 interface. 2 Serial network interfaces. 2 Low-speed serial(sync/async) network interfaces. 1 ISDN Basic Rate interface. 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash partition 1 (Read ONLY)
Reply to
Stuart Wilcox

Bob by the Bay,

Thanks for the very detailed reply, most useful. I'll get my sleaves rolled up tomorrow!

There's one last thing I'd like to ask if you could quickly answer? I remember reading somewhere that you must have a solid ethernet connection to a router to do a tftp transfer. The problem with that for me is that this router is a 2521, so it's got no ethernet port, will I be okay doing the transfer over back to back serial connections? Presumably I'd set the other end to DCE?

Thanks, Stuart.

formatting link

Reply to
Stuart Wilcox

okay, will do. thanks

formatting link
>>

Reply to
Stuart Wilcox

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.