10 Essential Commands and Tasks

My advice is as follows:

1. Buy two routers that run IOS of 12.0 or higher. 25xx, 16xx, MC3810,
26xx, 17xx, etc. Also get a back-to-back DCE/DTE cable appropriate for the interface type on your router. Both are available from numerous sources.

1. Buy Todd Lammle's CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801) ISBN 0782143911. Go through each LAB, do them again and again. If it takes you one month to make it through the

1st chapter so be it - LEARN IT! If it is in that book and you are planning on pursuing Cisco, you will see it again.

Greg

Reply to
gcave
Loading thread data ...

I am planning on learning Cisco myself (first) so I can ask more intelligent questions during real training...

My question is:

----------------

What are Top 10 Command should I focus on and / or Tasks?

I want to know things such as - what command allows me to open port XX on interface XX, etc - REAL world tasks without the 1000 pages background info.

Thank you.

Reply to
Jonathan P.

Not to sound sarcastic but I would get very famaliar with the basics first, the ones you will use all of the time. And learn their shorter keystroke version. Config t (configure terminal) int (interface) en (enable) FA (fast ethernet) s0 (serial0) eth0 (ethernet0) lo (loopback) noshut (no shutdown) copy run start (copy running config startup config) and also learn to use the up and down arrows. These will also save you time when configuring a router.

You will use these commands 99% of the time you will configure a router, depending on the types of interfaces the router has

Hope this helps.

S.c.

Reply to
sean courtney

great start thx...

I have this Netsim 5.x from Boson and have no clue where to begin...time to READ. Any input on some good starting material? Thanks.

Reply to
Jonathan P.

LOL...that's one great site Greg! If the Cisco reading materials were like that, I would learn alot faster! That's hilarious site!

Reply to
Jonathan P.

Hi Jonathan,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Certification Exam Tutorial:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Certified Network Engineer Jobs Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.