Wiring Basics

All,

I am new to phone systems all together. I have been in IT for about 6 years, but the phone systems have always been taken care of by outside contractors and the PBX was always administered by someone other than myself. I am now employed by a hotel with a rather large phone system with a Lucent PBX. I have never ran phone wire into a block and setup the new extension. I have ran and terminated CAT5 into a patch panel for Ethernet. Could some kind soul out there point me in the direction of some good reference material for this type of work? Thanks, Brandon

Reply to
brando
Loading thread data ...

I don't know how to put it best but cabling is probably going to be the least of your worries. You are going to need to cross connect one pair per phone (unless using older models - then two per phone) and it will be blue or center pair. That's just about it, more or less. Now, as far as administering the PBX goes, I advise you to get yourself signed up for a training class with the manufacturer. Otherwise you are going to have a heck of a time changing anything and will most likely bring it down a few times which seems like a no-no in a hotel environment to me.

Good luck!

Best Regards, Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

formatting link
Cabling Guide, Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for premises cabling users and pros

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

I don't understand why a person with enough intellect to perform I.T. tasks can't handle phone system cross-connections and administration.

Hope this helps. For cabling information check out:

formatting link
Don't just click the link to download the entire document, it will only give you the Appendices.

Download the Appendices and at a minimum, the first chapter.

Get ready for some heavy reading.

As far as the Lucent phone system is concerned, go to Avaya's website and with some diligence you will find all the information you could dream of regarding administration, expansion, etc... Be specific in your searches. Lucent is the brand name of a number of phone systems, so you will need to know the Model. This is likely easy to find on the exposed area of the main module.

I'll bet you can even find some software that will allow you administer your system from a computer.

Cable guy in MI - BICSI member since 2001

Good luck.

Reply to
google

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.