Which Fiber Switch

I am hoping to use some existing fiber cables that are already installed in my building to distribute my network.

I have four areas, all cabled back to one place, so I want to put in a fiber switch (or alternative ?) to join them all. Any recomendations as to which one ? I don't want anything fancy, just plug it in out of the box and let it sit there forever... Oh and cheap....

Many Thanks in Advance

AJ

Reply to
AJ
Loading thread data ...

Did that once with a 3Com Superstack II, but that was like 8 years ago so I don't know if they even have them any more. If you're looking for an all fiber switch, you might be looking at Cisco only these days. I'm not sure. If that is too much, you could go with four media converters (usually in the $150 range) and then any copper switch you might have laying around.

Reply to
jtodd5 dot 1

Look at the HP procurve line.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Look at the HP procurve line. These boxes have a lifetime HP warranty so I'd feel safe about buying it on ebay.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Thanks for the info, I am trying to see if I can get hold of one of the old 3com switches. Procurve's look great but I couldnt find a standalone fibre switch ?

Reply to
AndyJ300

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.