Which end is bad of cable

Hi everyone, had to make some telephone cables up today. Crimped the ends on and tested with simple tester I have and one conductor was open. Inspected ends - both looked good, fully inserted, etc. Picked an end and redid it; same problem, same conductor open. Redid other end and retested - same problem again. Redid both ends again and same problem. I only needed the the center pair so I used it as I was running out of time and patience. This is not rocket science but I would like to know how to find out which end is bad. Or maybe the conductor is open somewhere... Is there a tester of some kind other than a TDR that would tell?

Reply to
Tekkie®
Loading thread data ...

None that I'm aware of, though you may be able to set up something, using a 'scope and pulse generator. There's another technique, called a "Varley test" which used resistance differential to find shorts and the old line board swing test, to find opens, but you'd generally a lot more cable than you've got, to make such a measurement. Even a TDR would be dicey on such a short cable.

Given the cost of materials vs your time, if the fault isn't obvious, don't waste your time on it.

Reply to
James Knott

James Knott posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Thanks! At least I only feel stupid now vs actually being it. (But give me a chance.)

Reply to
Tekkie®

and tested

looked good,

of time and

which end

kind other

Sounds more like a tester or adapter problem than a cable problem. I went through the same thing several years ago. Drove me nuts until I figured out that I had a broken pin on my adapter. Replaced the adapter and everything was fine -- including the cables that had tested bad.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

I have an Ideal Linkmaster Pro XL that will tell you the length of the cable, or you can select individual pairs for length measurement. It measures length using capacitance, not TDR. For OPENS, I measure the length of the offending pair. If the length is ZERO, then the problem is at (or close to) the near end. If I get a length reading greater than zero at each end, then the problem is in the middle somewhere.

This approach only works for OPENS though. For SHORTS you still need a TDR.

I think you could use the same approach with any tester that measures using capacitance, as long as you can measure a selected pair.

Another way to check would be to plug each end of the cable into a modular adapter, and then use a continutiy checker on each conductor.

Reply to
Michael Quinlan

Ed Nielsen posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

on and tested

looked good,

out of time and

out which end

some kind other

Thanks Ed, that will be my next step.

Reply to
Tekkie®

The way to find out which end is bad, is to repair one end (doesn't matter which). After you've made the repair, you'll always find the problem was at the other end. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Unless you botched the repair.

Or you picked the wrong end (you cut the good one) and botched the new crimp so that you now have two bad ends.

It happens.

Reply to
David Magda

I guess you missed the ";-)".

Reply to
James Knott

James Knott posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Well, did that... new plug on end A no good. New plug on end B no good. Repeat again no good. I gave up as it was going to be temporary & an unused conductor.

Did check my checker though & it was okay. I wonder at this point if there was an open somewhere along the span...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Some connector are only meant to work with stranded or solid cable......you may be using the wrong type for the cable.

------------------------------------- Tekkie® wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 2175 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Jgolan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.