What is the best way to strip Cat 5 cable

Robert Redelmeier wrote in news:LEmqd.34514 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Let's say you are running Cat5 cable, and they want you to hook up another phone jack while you are at. So you homerun from the local TelCo access box on the side of the house, and it's one of those ones with the posts that unscrew a little bit and you loop the wire around it and tighten it down. You have to strip in that case, no?

Reply to
The Chairman
Loading thread data ...

Yes, you need to strip once. But the NID is not a patchpanel! Normally, I'd run have a single run from the NID to a closet, attic or basement 110 or 66 block. Everything homeruns there.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

The black one, # 35135, that looks like a clothespin, is the one I use and it's identical to the one that Radio Shack sells. Works great once you get the blade heights adjusted.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

approach, and

For stripping a stranded conductor patch cord, I use a coax stripper from Radio Shack that's been readjusted. It works great. But for regular solid conductor UTP, I use a Miller stripper to lightly score the jacket, and then pull on it until it breaks off. This is especially easy with plenum cable.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.