Terminated Cat5e ended up "cat5"

I was changing some things in a server room this week:

Using cat5e cable and these ends

formatting link
rewired a few of the connections between a switch and some server machines.

However, we experienced a network slowdown the following day because some of the servers turned their NIC down to 100MB because the new cable could not handle 1 gig...

Why did this new cable not handle 1 gig? It was only some of them too... I did run the cable on a handheld tester to verify it was okay before connecting it but the reader does not give speed rating.. simply a yes or no.

Any ideas? Simply bad terminating?

Reply to
fitchkd25
Loading thread data ...

fitchkd25 wrote in part:

Crimp-on plugs. Definitely _not_ for newbies. Most pros stay away from them too!

Yep, they'll do that. Sometimes all the way to 10.

Probably just conductivity. One good thing, but not the only one. Electrons may be color blind, but they know who their dance [twist] partners are!

What termination did you do? T-568A or T-568B?

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

fitchkd25 skrev:

formatting link
I rewired a few of the connections between a switch and some server

The connectors are not marked with any category, this means that the vendor most likely has not designed them to meet any of the categories used for data cabling.

You should not spend your time making patch cords, they can be made better and cheaper in a factory.

The cords are most likely not good enough ! If you want to test the performance of patch cords you need a tester for around $10.000, and then again it is cheaper to purchase quality cords.

Yes :-)

Reply to
CablingGuy

formatting link

So you paid $4 for a pair of RJ-45 plugs that have no rating and used who knows what kind or type of cable to make these patch cords and it's supposed to work for what reason?

Even though we stopped using Min Com (minimally compliant Cat 5e) calbe about 2 years ago, that doesn't mean it stopped showing up on vendor's shelves. Also, we don't make patch cords. It's a ton easier to just work out a deal with a supplier for end column pricing. We let our customers mix and match for quantity discounts.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

formatting link

The link above shows me a bunch of RJ-45 connectors for *flat cable*. The connectors that you are using are not designed for your application. Product 1099002 might be better for round cable, but does not have a CAT5 rating.

You would be better off getting some CAT5 rated connectors.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Worrells

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.