Straight-through CAT5E cabling

Hi, ~ my cable company offers me Internet connection via a cable modem (road runner is the company I think) ~ I need to make a Straight-through CAT5E cable so I connect my wireless router to the modem ~ The thing is that the cable I got, even though it says "CAT5E" on the cover it is not showing me the same colors that are used to match the pins to the RJ45 connectors, as I see them in, e.g.: ~

formatting link
formatting link
I don't see any blue cable I am not Daltonic ~ I had done that before and I even got a cable near by to confirm the coloring, however the extra cables I got don't have the right coloring ~ Any ideas how to use them? ~ Thanks lbrtchx

Reply to
lbrtchx
Loading thread data ...

Also, I found this interesting link online:

formatting link
What is the technical/physical foundation of this?

lbrtchx

Reply to
lbrtchx

what is the guy talking about a "PG phone"?

I guess there is more than physics to it

lbrtchx

Reply to
lbrtchx

I've got some magic h2o juice that will make you get Gigabit speeds off your cable modem too. Its only $1000/cc...

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in part:

Why? Buy one. You can find some for US$1. Many are better than most people can make.

Worse than useless, will split both green & blue pairs, yet will give misleadingly correct results with a continuity tester.

Considerably better, but still silent on important issues.

One pair should have a blue or blue-white(trace) wire twisted with a white or white-blue(trace) wire

What colors do you have? If you have red, black or yellow you probably do not have Cat5e.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

OK, let's say I do want to learn how to actually make one the right/ safe way, because I will eventually have the need to do this.

What are these important issues? I am obviously asking

Well, even if the cable itself clearly says CAT 5E on the cover I dont see plain blue or white with blue stripes cables. Here it is how it looks like:

formatting link
lbrtchx

Reply to
lbrtchx

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in part:

Not so obvious. Looks more like telling. I didn't see any questions about technique, only colors.

The main issues are: T-568A or -B pattern, solid flex, IDC compatibility, and seating depth. there may be others.

The photo isn't great, but it looks to me like your pairs are (L-R) orange, green, blue, brown. Don't argue shades until you can explain why Slate matters.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Why would you need to do this? Nobody makes their own patch cables. Its not a skill anybody looks for. There are a few people out there that do, but when you can go buy them for $1, or buy parts for $1 and alot of your time, the equation quickly becomes go buy them for $1.

Yeah, I dislike that kind of coloring. The 2nd pair from the left looks sort of blueish to me. I think you have them sorted properly into orange pair, blue pair, green pair, brown pair from the lowish quality pic this is. Every company is different. Some are nice clear color coded with stripes, others like this have muddy colors that are hard to tell apart and you have to make sure not to lose the associated white out of each pair once you untwist to shove in the plug because you won't be able to find it again.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

you already posted this elsewhere - and you indicate you wanted to share with your "class" -

If you believe either one of those Infinite Solutions - you're a moron -

Reply to
ps56k

have no idea what kind of cable you have there... ??? is each pair twisted together by itself ? try a normal technical resource - random selection from Google

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

I seriously doubt it is stamped with a CAT5 or any data markings ? It's just an 8-conductor cable.... and that is NOT going to work.

If you had looked around the Internet, (besides your contnuous YouTube postings) you would have realized it did not look anything like a CAT5 datacom cable.

Reply to
ps56k

go away -

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

I've handled Cat5e cable like his picture shows. It was legit cat5e cable, not everybody makes it the same. Some is crappier than others, anything to save a buck or two here and there during manufacturing.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.