STP is not grounded

We are expanding our office into some adjacent space. The space we're taking over has some finished offices that we're going to keep, and their drops run to a nice little wiring closet not that far from our own server room. I figured I'd just throw my switch into their closet and run fiber or UTP from my existing rack. I was surprised to discover that the drops already in place are cat 6 STP (must've been put it when they moved in a couple of years ago), but the shields have simply been trimmed back to the jacket and are not grounded on either end. I think I read somewhere that an ungrounded shield could cause problems and I was wondering if I need to ground these shields somewhere? I don't want to recable but if I had to repatch them to a panel I can ground the shields to that probably wouldn't be too pricey, would it?

What do you think?

-- Jon

Reply to
Jon
Loading thread data ...

Big discussion on the very same subject in comp.dcom.lans.ethernet.

So you better watch there :-)

(No, no definitive answer there neither. No yet, anyway :-)

Reply to
Gerard Bok

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.