Splicing Fiber Question

Hey guys, I will have to install some MM fiber in the near future. No single run is more than 400 meters so I'm not really worried about my power budget. Here's what I want to do:

Rather than spend big money on tools to connectorize fiber, can I buy ready made fiber jumper cables, cut them in half and use a mechanical splice to join the fiber to the jumper and terminate my fiber like this? Is this a whacky idea or is this a common practice?

Please let me know what you think.

TIA.

Reply to
Net_Worker
Loading thread data ...

Net_Worker skrev:

First, remember to install LOMMF/OM3 fiber this is the only fiber that will support 10G over a reasonable distance.

The maximum length for OM3 in support of 10G Ethernet is 300 meter. To support longer distances you have to take one of the offers for "better" OM3 fiber that supports 10G up to around 550 meters. Alternatively you should install SM for runs longer than 300 meter.

It is a whacky idea to install your own fiber :-) Use a professional installation company that can glue the connectors or alternatively fusion splice pigtails.

You could use mechanical splices, but use pigtails instead of patch cords, but again don't do your own fiber installations.

Reply to
CablingGuy

Net_Worker wrote in part:

I don't think a splice is significantly easier than attaching a connector.

However, cable shops will connectorize custom lengths for you. Unless you have a very tight (conduit) pull, this is the easiest way for a small number of runs.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

I don't think it's a good idea.

First off, mechanical splices have pretty high standard attenuation. Even though you are not concerned about power budget now, you may be VERY concerned in near future trying to implement a high speed (10G for ex.) application.

Second, mechanical splices are notorious for unreliability. Any manual handling of the fibers in the shelf may accidentally lead to a fiber pulled out of its place in the splice which is effect breaks the connection

Third, mechanical splices are bulky. You will need specialized cassettes to hold them and it will make your shelves (WICs) larger than needed.

Gluing polished type connectors on 900 mkm MM fibers is an easy task. The easiest there is in fiber installation IMHO. It also happens to provide the most reliability because you can actually see the end of the fiber and even visually judge the quality (with some experience) which may prove important if you lack proper fiber testing tools. The polished type MM connectors also happen to be the cheapest.

So, I would still consider terminating the fiber in the field.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.