[Shameless Self Promotion] Looking for a job

I'm a C-7 contractor (CA 807759) and have been running my own biz for a little over 7 years. To put it bluntly, I want out. The long hours, the constant struggle to get paid in a timely manner and the fact I'm back in school and not able to devote 80+ hours/week to the biz are the main reasons I'm looking to close my doors.

I've worked out a deal with another contractor I've subbed for on occasion to handle my warranty issues but don't particularly want to work for them.

What I'm looking for is a Project/Program Manager or Estimator position in the San Diego area. Anyone know of anyone hiring or thinking of hiring? Any leads would be appreciated.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried BICSI Job board already?

formatting link
it's not geographically targeted, I would imagine that those potential employers that care to check out those job postings at BICSI would probably make up most of the desired job market for a Project Manager or an Estimator. On a side note: it is always better to join a new company with your own bank of potential return customer contacts. So, whatever was that arrangement with the company that takes care of your warranties, you may want to make sure you can still approach those old customers of yours.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

I'm at a community college and we're just opening up a brand new bldg. But because the bond money that paid for it was dedicated to capital expenditures, we can't hire anyone to fill the new positions. At least this year, Gov Arnold didn't threaten us with not getting paid if the budget got delayed (again). Last year there was talk about borrowing money to meet the payroll. Anyway, the money is tight in the education biz and a lot of positions where the persons retired are not being filled because of it. Just thought you might like to know..

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Pretty much daily since I decided to close up shop.

Well, that is looking more and more like a moot point. The verbal agreement for compensation was a done deal, but the written deal I got in the mail today isn't even close to what we'd agreed upon. I'm certainly not going to budge on my position - I can keep working and making money until I find something else - and I doubt the other party will bend much (if at all)

Oh well..

Reply to

I'm aware of that. I have a lot of friends that I worked with in the IT field who are making half of what they made in the late 90s just to keep working. I got out of IT because it was apparent the firms hiring were looking more for recent college or tech school grads who demanded less than half the salary I was getting with over 10 years experience.

Unfortunately, since we (my company) also did cabling, we started getting asked more and more to cable and today it's probably 85% of our work. Any integration stuff we get asked to do, I pretty much handle myself. I would love to get back into IT, but I've been out of the loop for over 6 years and don't think I could even ask for close to what I used to make when I had a "real" job.

Reply to

Sounds like an error. The question is -- deliberate or accidental? Call and mention paper doesn't match words and see how they respond!

Good. No reason for you to budge, and no reason to be impolite [defensive] about it either. A smart company is looking for people who can be graceful under pressure. For there certainly is alot of pressure!

Ah, but will they reneg on a deal?

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Not sure of the resons, but the paper was "correct" in their words. Stuff like this is why I don't want to work for them. 99% of the people in the shop are great. Straight up, no BS folks who do good work. (Which is why I sub for them at times) but the HMFIC and I don't see eye to eye on anything - well, not quite, but more often than not.

hehe, my wife calls me an "opportunistic ass-kisser" She's heard me on the phone smoothing out rough spots with dissatisfied customers and turn it into something positive. I'm by no means afraid of speaking my mind though and will do so if the situation warrants it.

Since the "deal" was worked out over a phone call, there's nothing really binding. Since we're so far apart on the numbers, I'm not even going to sweat the whole thing. Not my loss as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to

OK, an Internet acronym I haven't seen before. (I just crawled out from under a large rock.) What is HMFIC?

Reply to
Philx509

Then politely return it to them, amended to reflect your understanding, initialed and signed. Keep a copy. Or send it back saying it doesn't reflect your understanding.

Excellent reason to avoid them. If he has expectations he doesn't communicate and/or you don't understand, neither of you is likely to be happy in the long term.

An important skill. Mostly works on people who don't know what they want or what is possible. Is your wife afraid you'll use the skill on her? Do you have reason to? :)

A phone call can be as binding as anything else. Proving it is a different matter and CA is a two-party consent state.

Probably best. People won't keep agreements they disagree with. But you should be clear hit the ball back into their court, and not leave them thinking you agree and they can call on you.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Hey, Kevin. Did you land a job yet? Interesting to learn how it played out.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Um, yes and no.. Closed my doors October 29 and got a gig doing engineering for a compnay that builds flight sims. Still playing with cable, but I'm designing control systems instead of crawing through rat droppings and drywall dust..

Good bunch of folks who don't have a problem with me bugging out for a few hours to go fly a couple times a week, as long as I get meet my deadlines.

Oh, for the guy who asked what HMFIC is..

Head Mother F*****r In Charge.

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.