Seperate drop to garage

Will sbc, now at&t drop two drops for one line, one to the garage, and one to the house, if there are network interfaces in both locations?

Reply to
warrenshudson
Loading thread data ...

Call the them.

In almost all ares, almost all telcos will run one one drop to one demarc box they call the NID (Network interface Device) per billing address per billing account.

In your case, it appears that you want two drops from the pole going to two different NIDs. Most likely they won't run the second drop for you, however they might run it and charge you extra or they might charge you for additional "inside wiring" to run a drop from one NID to the other.

You really need to call them.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Yep. Local policies vary by tariff and custom. In Raleigh, NC they used to put in 2 lines by default. But I don't know about the last few years.

10 and 20 years ago they put in 2 lines as more and more people wanted 2 lines and it was much cheaper to run the extra wire anytime they were on the pole. But with cell phones and DSL, most people now only have 1 line of local service and now they might have gone back to running only 1 pair of wires as the default.
Reply to
DLR

It appears that he wants multiple drops for one telephone line (dial tone).

How they bring the line(s) in from the pole or buried varies from telco by telco. Bell used to bring in a separate pair for each line, but they may have adopted a 2-pair drop by now as my telco does.

The best way is by example:

Sprint will run any number of drops from the pole to the one NID, you might end up with a single 2-pair first time drop and then a 6-pair the second time around. If you have a new building that needs just one telephone line for a fax, they won't run a separate drop from the pole to the new building as its still part of the same billing name/address, but WILL run a new drop to the same address if its in a different name.

Bell ran a new drop for me for a new line and terminated it on a separate NID as I didn't want them to run a drop across my swimming pool and already had the 2-pair buried cable used up.

Bottom line, call them.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.