Recommend me a Crimper - AMP vs. GMP

"Good quality tool" and "makeshift crimps" do not go together in the same sentence. Trust me, you do NOT want "makeshift" crimps in any sort of connector application, most especially not RJ45!

Invest in a good-quality crimper, use the correct plug for the type of wire in use (solid or stranded is usually how they're differentiated), and learn how to properly prepare the cable and crimp the plug onto it. There's never any excuse for "makeshift" work.

I've had fine results with the AMP professional-style rachet-crimp tool, though I would like to eventually "upgrade" to the GMP. It's truly the top of the line.

Happy hunting.

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
Loading thread data ...

Just need a good quality tool for some *makeshift* crimps - RJ45 & RJ11.

The GMP Tools is a bit pricey but it feels real good in the hand. On the other hand, I know alot of fellas that have been using the AMP crimper for years.

Reply to
Chris Keath

Hello,

I use the Amp crimper and like it. I'm going to pass along a cut-n-paste from an earlier usenet posting with some info about Amp plugs which you might want to keep in mind:

----------------------------------------

.... .... Speaking of 48X jacks. One other classic trouble with RJ-48X jacks is where the 8 pin plug, from a rather big plug vendor, when inserted does not fully break the hard X jack loopback. On some 8 pin plugs there can be found a hollowed grove that is parallel with the plug contacts #1 & #8 of the head shell. Those 8 pin grooved plugs have a tendency to not open the hard T1 loop because the jack shorting bars fall into the plugs hollow grove(s) causing the shorting bars not to move up. This trouble goes back to 1995.

When we called one of the plug manufaturers, and discussed the issue. Our answer was simply. Nothing in the ANSI requirements indicate that the groves provided do not have to be there. So I guess we ate some cake that answer.

Subject: Re: DS-1 distance limitation Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 09:49:39 GMT From: Terry Kennedy Organization: St. Peter's College, US Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom.tech

Yup. That's one of the reason I no longer use AMP tooling/plugs, but use GMP exclusively. AMP changed their production so they could use the same molds for both the 8-conductor and 10-conductor version - they just don't stuff the contacts in positions 0 and 9.

What's even more annoying is that TTC (the T-Berd folks) use those plugs on their bantam-to-RJ48 adapter, at least when I bought my 209.

Terry Kennedy

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@tmk.com Jersey City, NJ USA

----------------------------------------

Reply to
greg t. knopf

-------------------------------------

Where do you normally get your plugs? If you just buy them at Home Depot, you may want to stick with Ideal or Greenlee crimper (which, coincidentally, HD sells). AMP crimper crushes Ideal plugs and vise versa. One the other hand, with Ideal tool it is rather easy to procure plugs - just don't buy AMP. Pretty much everything else works; at least I haven't come across one that does not.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

I usually use Siemon plugs --- however, if I'm all out and need some in a jiffy, I'll just pick up the HD-Ideal plugs.

Are the *plugs* between brands pretty much the same or is there someth>Chris Keath wrote:

Reply to
Chris Keath

I have two of the AMP crimpers, and they do a good job. They crimp all

3 points, whereas those cheap crimpers do only two points. They do require AMP plugs, tho.
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Yep. AMP plugs have three crimp positions: IDC wire penetration, individual flattened conductors and cable jacket. AFAIK, all other have only the first and last. AMP plugs can be crimped in std dies. Regular plugs cannot be crimped in AMP 3 posn dies.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Hi Robert,

AMP plug won't work in a standard die - the cable jacket crimp is in the wrong spot (further out) and the plug will get crushed by the standard die right between the conductors and the jacket holder. If you are lucky, it won't damage the die, but that's not guaranteed.

------------------------------------- Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

formatting link
Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for premises cabling users and pros
formatting link
Cabling Guide

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 4198 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.