real basic question

Good Day,

I know little about telephone cabling, but have been asked to prepare some connections.

We recently remodeled some office space, and running new cables would have been a nighmare.

There are three telephone numbers serving this office space and I have toned out three cables (cat5).

The kiker is that I would like all three lines available to the three phone. Actually, in a perfect world I would have all three lines avalable to four phones.

If I install a 110 block in the office space and punch down the three cables running to the telco closet, can I then cable multiple lines out out of this block?

Thanks

Reply to
apertyx1
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Try that.

You could also get a 66 block and jumper the incoming lines to the stations too. Its a bit cheaper, but, a little more involved.

Perkowski

Reply to
Perkowski

Are these multiline POTS phones or is there an electronics cabinet they feed into? Actually, tell us the name and model of the phones found on the bottom of the phone.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Well, you got the terminology right, but why would you use a 110 block if you're only doing the job once?

The answer is yes you can multiple lines on a 110 block with the looping part of your punch down tool, but I wonder why you would even bother with `110 for 3 or 4 phones? A 66 block is easier and less expensive and requires very little experience to terminate wires. In

110 you have seat the "C" clips either with a special tool or carefully with a punch down tool or hammer and block of wood :-)

A 66 block and bracket retails for $12, a 110 frame for about $10 plus .60 for the clips.

To loop whatever method you use, assuming that you are putting in

4-line phones on dual RJ-14 jacks per location, you would strip out a section of cable and use the wires on the face of the block to connect lines 1-3 together. You might consider a small phone system, a Panasonic TA-308 would cost about $400 with 4 phones, or you could go the eBay route.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

as mentioned above - even if you can physically get the 3 lines out to the phones, how will the phones select which line to answer or make a call ?

BTW - RJ11 wiring has the center 2 pins for line #1, and the next pair for line #2 So, in 2 "normal" jacks, you could present 4 lines... or - just use the center 2 pins for each line. If you have gone and used a single cat5 cable & RJ45 to rig all 4 lines, then you still have to break them out at the desktop to the phone using the standard RJ-11 pinouts.

Reply to
Phil Schuman

(snip)

I believe there is an RJ jack with 8 pins for a four line phone.

The four lines are pins (4,5), (3,6), (2,7) and (1,8), note different than the four pairs of ethernet.

I don't know where you find phones using this format, though.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Possibly cheaper as its a discontinued product. four phone configuration was like $700 dealer price.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

since the OP hasn't been back, it's hard to guess what's going to be sitting on the desk, or how he thinks he'll answer the 4 lines ?

Reply to
Phil Schuman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.