Quieting a switch...

This is slightly off-topic, but applicable (I think) ;-)

Where I work, we recently built a 1million $ a/v center. Inside, there is a Cisco Catalyst Switch (4U?, I don't know the model number at the moment) which is VERY noisy.

I've been asked to find out about quieting that switch down. Though I've NEVER heard of doing that before, I understand why as it would interfere with some of the audio production people.

In any case, obviously the entire telco rack could be encased, but that would present other problems (ventilation). My thinking is there must be a way to replace the fans, as those are the noisy components.

I will of course ask Cisco - I need to find our Service Code number, otherwise they won't give you the time of day.

In any case, I wonder if anyone here has run across this scenario and what suggestions you might have.

Much appreciated.

Reply to
forrie
Loading thread data ...

FWIW, I needed to put a Cisco switch in a high tech conference room. It roared when on the bench.

I tried it before I went to spend more money. I put behind a partition and when people were in the room, you couldn't hear it.

YMMV.

Reply to
Al Dykes

You're going to have to baffle/enclose it somehow. I guess I would have insisted on a closet for network gear rather than it being out in the open if noise was ever an issue, since almost all network gear is noisy, and seems to getting worse over time. I've seen people do seperate exhaust feeds just for their enclosed network/sever gear. Put some dense foam on/around the door, and you get pretty quiet.

I don't think replacing the fans are going to do much for you. My 450x switches have loads of fans on them (11 I think for a 4506 counting the power supply ones?).

Cisco doesn't have a silent kit for their gear, they expect them to go into closets or data centers.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Try looking to see if the chassis is warped. We had a situation where an integrator placed a switch in a transit case for us, the fit was to tight, and it ended up warping the chassis of teh switch by the time it was shipped to us.

Reply to
Dana

Can you run flexible ducting to the fans? If so you route these away from where the noise is an issue and you could wrap this in insulation and maybe absorb most of the noise if it is caused by the fans. Just a long run to another corner of the room can absorb a lot of noise. Just oversize the duct within a foot or less of the switch to make sure you aren't adding extra load on the fans to push or pull air through the ducts.

Also if noise is being transfered to the rack try nylon bushings or even putting it on a shelf with rubber feet.

Cisco need not be involved and your warranty would stay intact. :)

David

Reply to
DLR

"Thank you" to everyone for these helpful responses.

Our boss is against the idea of a closet - I think some of that has to do with how the room is designed and where the A/C's are located, etc.

He also mentioned ducting - however, I've never heard of such a thing with these items. Can someone point me to some products or images?

I suspect we will also run into some trouble with the HP 1U rack servers (3 or 4 of them) that are racked nearby.

This probably wasn't an expected issue (thus not planned for) - however the lab is there, installed and it's not really going to change much ;-)

Someone else mentioned a sound dampening curtain, which I would be against - it's going to cut off air flow and probably pose a fire hazard at least ;-)

Thanks again, everyone.

Forrest

Reply to
forrie

"Thank you" to everyone for these helpful responses.

Our boss is against the idea of a closet - I think some of that has to do with how the room is designed and where the A/C's are located, etc.

He also mentioned ducting - however, I've never heard of such a thing with these items. Can someone point me to some products or images?

I suspect we will also run into some trouble with the HP 1U rack servers (3 or 4 of them) that are racked nearby.

This probably wasn't an expected issue (thus not planned for) - however the lab is there, installed and it's not really going to change much ;-)

Someone else mentioned a sound dampening curtain, which I would be against - it's going to cut off air flow and probably pose a fire hazard at least ;-)

Thanks again, everyone.

Forrest

Reply to
forrie

Uh, I was thinking more of a home made situation.

If you really want to do this you could have a local HVAC company make up some "adapters". (Driving blind here so go with the flow. They could make up a square

1U high ?? wide duct with the horizontal sides extended an inch or so to slide against the top and bottom of the switch. Make them long enough to extend back so you can anchor them to the rack. At the end have them convert to a round standard size with more area than the square box. Go buy a standard elbow and tube and run from there. Or even flexible duct.

A small town will have a dozen or so shops than can custom make ducting.

David Ross

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.