Problem with Access Point wiring

Hi all,

I am kind of new to this, so bear with me. Anyway, the problem that I am having:

I have a Linksys Wireless G Router that I have hooked on the bottom floor of my friend's 3 story house. Reception on the top floor is poor at best so I decided to hardwire a Linsys Access Point upstairs. I ran a length of Cat 5e through the basement crawl space and up the walls outside, then back through and installed an RJ-45 jack on both ends. Used the patch cables that were included with the router and access point to connect, and the connection light did not come on. On the Access Point it blinked intermittently.

I think the problem is coming from the fact that at the termination points, where I connected the jacks, I untwisted the pairs too much. I am going over tomorrow to try out this fix, but I wanted to see if there is anything else that I should be aware of or look for as a fix if I can't get this to work. I don't necessarily need to maintain pure 100mbs Cat5 standards; I just need the access point to function properly.

Thanks.

Ryan

Reply to
The Chairman
Loading thread data ...

Most often the problems with this type of installation have to do with the matching of the cable pairs rather than the amount of untwist. I would check to be certain both ends were wired using the same pattern, either the T568A or T568B pattern. Split pairs will give you some of the symptoms you describe.

It is also possible that you need a cross-over cable between the router and the access point.

Reply to
Justin Time

Make sure your cable is wired correctly, according to EIA/TIA 568A or B. A properly wired cable will work fine at 100 Mb. If it doesn't you've got a wiring problem or cable fault.

Reply to
James Knott

If on one end of the link you have a link light (and no activity) it usually means that the receiver senses presence of the signal voltage, but the transmitter does not get connected to the receiver on the other end. The receiver is on pins 3 and 6, so you should fist look at pins 1 and 2 at the end that has light and pins 3 and 6 at the end that does not have light.

The untwist normally does not have such dramatic effect, and is only affecting your bit error rates, but not the actual connection.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

That's a BIG part of the problem right there. With ANY RF transceiver, it's best to have the antenna in the highest physical point possible.

Try relocating your first access point.

Reply to
Bruce Lane

info_at_cabling-design_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)) wrote in news:cp3pd.5040747$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

Thanks to everyone who responded. It turns out that I had wired it wrong... the pairs were done incorrectly. I'm pretty surprised that none of the jacks that were for sale at Fry's Electronics are color-coded for

8 pair nowadays. It's still the old fashioned red, green, yellow, black, etc. I'll do a search for the wiring schemes that were mentioned earlier. Thanks for all the help.

Ryan

Reply to
The Chairman

Bruce Lane wrote in news:MPG.1c0f2333fe77016989819@192.168.42.131:

Yeah, don't I know it, but it was the only option that we had. Oh well.

Reply to
The Chairman

It sounds like you've got phone jacks. Any connector to be used for ethernet these days, should be rated at least CAT5. If it doesn't say it is, you can assume it isn't.

Reply to
James Knott

Not necessarily. Considering the distance involved, it's more likely something's blocking the signal. Perhaps an air duct or large appliance is in the way?

Reply to
James Knott

Floor joists can be a real problem if they run the wrong direction and the direct line runs through many of them. You might be trying to push signal through 8" or more of wood and nails.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

That sounds like an old screw-terminal octopus wired phone jack. Cat0 and not suitable for data (but it will probably work over short runs).

I've never seen a Cat5 jack that didn't have BlOrGrBr color coding (usually two, T-568A & -B). I have seen Cat3 uncoded, but I'd be deeply skeptical of anything uncoded.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Robert Redelmeier wrote in news:6MApd.37957 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

Yeah, it does seen like a phone jack doesn't it (It's exactly as you describe)? Although it is the RJ-45 jack. Where do you guys get your jacks? I am in the Los Angeles area if that helps. Maybe CompUSA?

I do have it working now, but is there a significant loss of bandwidth and signal do you think?

Thanks,

Ryan

Reply to
The Chairman

There are a lot of other uses, besides ethernet, for RJ-45 style connectors. I've seen them used for phones & printers, among other things.

Reply to
James Knott

The Chairman wrote in news:Xns95AD44BDE1Dmonsterearthlinknet@140.99.99.130:

Home Depot stocks the jacks and a lot of other do-it-yourself wiring equipment.

Reply to
DL

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.