Plenum

i was told that just because you run cable between a drop ceiling and the hard ceiling doesnt make it plenum.

If all air ways are enclosed in some sort of duct work it is NOT plenum. Air would have to be flowing freely in the space. much like in old high rise buildings in NY i'm told. there is not alot of space and the air run open and freely in the plenum.

is this true?

bull

Reply to
Bullcrappy
Loading thread data ...

Yes.

But many places now want plenum rated cable that's anywhere behind something. Varies by area.

Reply to
DLR

If BOTH incoming and return air flows are ducted then what you are saying is correct. In practice though only incoming flow is ducted and so basically any cavity above the drop ceiling can facilitate air return hence moving air hence new oxygen in case something burns up there.

So, if your fire marshal tells you it's plenum it's really hard to argue because usually he is correct, both technically (you don't control the return air) and by law.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

When the fire marshal tells you something it's true even if it's not. Arguing with them is asking for the doors to be padlocked. I work with architects and they'll debate the gray in the building codes all day long but when the fire marshal arrives, he gets obeyed. He can ruin you life faster than almost anyone on the planet not using a weapon.

Reply to
DLR

Including an ex-wife (so I have been told).

Reply to
DTC

Plenum, generally, has to be run in areas where wiring and air ducting are together, whether ceiling or floor. The explanation is that in case of fire, fumes may be carried by the hvac. Therefore, if a flame retardant, or slow burn material is used, there is less chance of noxious fumes being carried to people at outside reaches of the hvac in other rooms or other floors.

Reply to
scolio

Interesting, the EU has banned polyvinylfloride cables and allows traditional polyvinylchloride cables.

Reply to
DTC

There is no "perfect" cable. Different regulator bodies with different priorities on what is bad vs very bad will come to different conclusions about what is good or required.

Reply to
DLR

... that depends on whether your children are involved.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

DTC wrote in part:

Which is worse: a cable that produces worse fumes or a cable which produces them at lower temp?

US NFPA says the latter, EU might well say the former. Heaven forbid they agree upon anything. But in reality, they both have different building mixes and codes that gives rise to different preferences.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Lets hope they dont' start mandating metal conduit for all runs.

Reply to
DTC

The US PoV is PVC cables are *fuel* and thus do not belong where there's a draft.

The EU thinks nerve gas is a worse problem than fuel...

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.