Please identify this cable?

Hi. I am installing a cable modem soon, and I have some questions about the cable coming into my house.

One cable has the following markings:

MEDIAONE E83032 F6SSVV-CRD CATV

The other cable has the following markings:

BELDEN 18AWG DUOBOND PLUS 9059

Are these cables RG-6? I hope so, because I want RG-6 to be coming off the pole to the house for my cable modem.

(If it helps to mention it: both cables in question appear to be thicker than Belden DUOBOND PLUS 9052, which I believe is RG-59.)

Thank you, Roger Carlson

Reply to
rogacasa
Loading thread data ...

First one sounds like a private branded MediaOne cable mfg by CommScope. F6SSVV is RG-6 75 ohm quad shield.

The Belden 9059 is RG-59 75 ohm. You don't want that.

Belden 9052 is 52 ohm. Of similar families, i.e RG-52 and RG-59, the 75 ohm cables have a wider diameter.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Thanks. Ugh. I guess will have to replace the stretch of Belden 9059 with some RG-6 that I crimp myself. Any recommendations on brands? Home Depot carries 500Ft spools of Carol RG-6. Markertek has spools of Belden 1694A RG-6 for twice the price. I'll pay the extra if the quality is better. Is it?

As for the 9052: I'm looking at it right now; here are the markings:

BELDEN T@ 9052 DUOBOND PLUS CATV COAX 20AWG 75OHM LG

if this is 52 ohm cable, why does it have 75 ohm printed on it?

Thanks, Roger Carlson

Reply to
rogacasa

The difference between Belden 1694A and Carol RG-6 is marginal. Only .07 dB difference of loss over a one hundred feet run, so paying a lot more for the Belden isn't going to make a difference.

I would certainly spend the money on a compression coax connector tool and use the same mfg's connectors. Its pretty much fool proof and the outdoor connectors are weather proof. Home Depot carries them. And get the coax cable stripper too...better than a utility knife for stripping the cable.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.