Patch cabinet diagram

Forgive me if this is not the correct group.

We have a patch cabinet with 2 3com 48 port panels for the LAN and also 3 panels for the telephone system. I am attempting to draw up a diagram detailing what's patched to where (socket nos, tel ext nos etc) and I was wondering if there is any software available to illustrate the layout of a patch cabinet?

Any ideas?

Cheers guys.

Reply to
Richard Thorneycroft
Loading thread data ...

There are any number of software packages that will do what you state. Start with Visio and work from there.

Reply to
Justin Time

Dia

Works great on Windows or *unix. Free.

formatting link

Reply to
Al Dykes

Being very familiar with AutoCAD, Visio and SmartDraw, the easiest and the cheapest way to handle this, in my opinion, would be to use SmartDraw. These guys give you 30-days free trial, and the amount of symbol libraries available will simply blow your mind. 3COM, Cisco, 100 other vendors, 7' rack, wire managers, you name it. I think you will complete your drafting project in couple of hours, let alone 30 days trial period.

Here is the link:

formatting link

It is a shameless plug as well as a shortcut to the Tech Edition download. Once you got the software installed, get the update from their site and in this updates you'll have all the libraries you are looking for. Then start SmartDraw, and in the new file Wizard dialog that comes up, select Rack Diagram, and just start populating it. The software downloads

3COM library automatically as you are trying to use 3COM symbol fro the first time.
Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Thanks for the help on this, smartdraw sound promising.

Thanks again guys.

Reply to
Richard Thorneycroft

Dmitri,

I have downloaded SmartDraw 7.02, where do I find the update to obtain the rack diagram template? I cannot find the relevant update on the website.

I hope you can help me.

Reply to
Richard Thorneycroft

Sorry about that. I've got it now, do you know if there is a 3COM

4250T switch available? I cannot find one already listed.

Cheers.

Reply to
Richard Thorneycroft

SmartDraw is impressive, BUT I need to be able to draw lines (cables) from each individual port, and this jumps to predefined points. Any ideas?

Reply to
Richard Thorneycroft

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.