OT: I want to run a Cat 5e cable 1000 meters? Is this doable?

I want to nail it to pine trees in the woods from my hour to my friends house 1000 meters away. It'll work, right? Plus, I want to take a hammer and smash a hole into my friend house to pull the cable through.

LOL

Reply to
Perkowski
Loading thread data ...

Whatever that is you're drinking/smoking/snorting - please deliver a case/crate etc... a.s.a.p.

Reply to
William Tasso

Only if the nails meet TIA/EIA specs.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Propably for some time if you run some data signal on that line that can run this long distance. Normal Ethernet connections and normal CAT5 networking techniques are designed so that the cable runs are maximum 100 meters. That's how in building wirings are built.

You can't run normal Ethernet signals 1000 meters through CAT5 cable. You need to use some other communications technology that can go 1000 meters. Technologies like ADSL, VDSL, LRE etc..

If you just take a normal inside house CAT5 cable an run it through the trees outside, then don't expect long life. The outside climate conditions will quite quicly make an inside house wiring cable bad. I mean climate conditions like UV rays from sun damaging plastic materials, humidity and rain water getting inside cable and maybe absorbing to insulation, wind shaking wire here and there, mechanical stress of long cable hanging between trees, at winter time freeezing ciold weather can make the plastic material on cable brittle/fragile so that it will break down when cable is moved...

Then take into consideration also the potential dangers of lightining hitting your cable (will fry the cable and equipment on both ends) or nearby your system (will easily cause several kilovolts surges to cable).

A drill is a nicer way to make a small home that will pass the cable from outside to inside.

Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

Why not just put it in a garden hose. I mean, 1000 feet of hose has to cost less than 1000 feet of direct burial Cat-5e cable :-)

You can then boost the signal with a poor man's subscriber carrier, where you send the data on top of 110 volts AC. Now, since you live in a foreign country, you might have to use a converter to get to 110 instead of the 220v mains. I'm not exactly sure how you insert the signal onto the AC, but just experiment with it. Make a big series circuit with you ethernet and the long cable and the power company then do the same thing at the other end. Do this one pair at a time because you might have to use the spares after you melt the first set. Just keep trying until you run out of pairs or it works.

I don't usually want to smash a hammer thru my friend's house. But someday I'll try that on my enemy's window.

Yes, a drill is so much better. Get the largest bit you can find, like maybe one of those 2" (is that 1 CM?) bits. Don't worry about the excess hole, the mice will love you.

Reply to
Carl Navarro

I bet s/he doesn't. I'd put good money on a wager that they live at home.

scnr - happy new year

Reply to
William Tasso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.