Ok this may be a beaten up subject but...c5e vs c6 gigabit.

I have a guy @ work that runs a SAN and insists on buying expensive cat

6 cables for every device he plugs his servers into. The cost is about 50% more for these cables. I have run gig, even striped across many disks getting very high bandwidth rates on c5e for years. I am trying to determine whether or not cat-6 is really "worth it" because if not I want to use cat5e.

Seems to me cat-6 *may* transfer faster in certain circumstances but bottlenecks such as disk/computer prevent these circumstances from occurring very often.

Can anyone speak to this? Whether or not they use either/or? And why?

Thanks!

Reply to
fotoobscura
Loading thread data ...

Some people like to spend money. Cat5e is rated to carry GigE at full speed on a maximum-length link, and I've never heard of a case where it failed to do so.

Very few computers can sustain 1Gb/sec internally.

We use Cat5e for GigE. It works. We have better uses for the money than buying more cable than we need.

Reply to
W Howard

Agreed. I got a personal email from someone else on the group that sent me a link to a company that sells cat6 for pennies-on-the-dollar and i'll be buying from them from now on...25' snagless EIA standard cat6 for $4.31 is my kind of price!

Thanks!

W Howard wrote:

Reply to
fotoobscura

2 Gig shurly ;-)

Reply to
developers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.