Office Network Issues...

I am having an issue with creating some wallports for an office.

Basic Outlay. For now There is a Netgear Hub that has a Link to a T1. I am running cable through the office. So it will be PC -->Wallport, then On the other end of the wallport, a Male RJ-45 to the Hub.

Once the Network is Moved, it will be PC-->Wallport-->Router-->Hotbrick Firewall-->T1 (Basically the Internet will be going into the Firewall as well as the Router with all the users connections.

I have been trying both A and B standards, and even made the Male Plugs both A format, B format. I did the punch down and used this:

formatting link
to test the cable (I basically plugged the Male end to the top, and plugged a small cable into the jack and the other end of that cable to the Remote Side. I tested the small cable. I even purposely made a cross over so it would register as a cross over (it did), I even tested with a "Bad" Cable (pair 3/4 would not light up)

Tester says all green on the Jacks and Plugs I made, but when I plug my laptop to the jack, nothing is going through. I tried both XO and ST cables. On both A and B Standards. Nothing. I plugged straight into the T1 and then to the Hub without any problems. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Raxian
Loading thread data ...

Switch to 110 blocks, follow the color codes and buy your patch cords pre-made.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Unfortunately I dont have the time to order online for a 110. I can make pretty good cables. So thats not to bad, So your saying run from Jack, to Patch, Patch to a ST Male End into the Hub?

Reply to
Raxian

Pick one standard. Use it everywhere. There's no difference between the two. If you start getting complex, you're bound to run into problems. Almost everything in business environments is

568B. Residences and government typically are 568A. It doesn't really matter much what is used as long as it is used on both ends of the same run. But stick with one, stop putzing with two wire layouts. You can mix and match patch cords and horizontal runs, it doesn't matter, it only matters that each specific cord is wired the same on each end.

Step back and take it one by one. Get a spare hub (they are what, $10?) plug it into your patch cable you've made directly to your laptop. Check for link. If that works, check the next part up. Combine them together. Take it one by one, and you'll get it eventually.

You generally don't need cross-over cables. The only time you need them is if you have some old hubs/switches and you are connecting them together. Almost all new ones will be auto MDI/MDI-X, so just use straight through cables everywhere.

Also, wire into patch panels directly, it sounds like you have solid wire coming out of the wall into a plug? This will wear out over time and flake out on you in a year or two. Invest in a patch panel.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.