no link light...cat5 and keystone jacks connected wrong?

If you're connecting PC to PC, without using a hub or switch, you'll need a cross-over somewhere. While you could do it in the wiring of the jacks, it's better to use a cross-over patch cord instead. Wire the jacks according to either EIA 568A or 568B. If you use A on one end and B on the other, you'll have a cross-over.

Reply to
James Knott
Loading thread data ...

Do you get a connection, when both computers are directly connected to the router? The first thing to suspect is the cables, particularly the one between the jacks.

Reply to
James Knott

Well, since the patch cords, NICs and router all check out, your problem likely lies with the cable between the jacks or it's connections to them. Any chance of a broken wire? Can you measure continuity? The easiest way to test that, assuming you've got some method of checking continuity, is to get a couple of screw terminal RJ-45 surface mount jacks. You can then easily connect the test equipment & jumpers. Use the previously verified patch cables, to connect those jacks to the keystone jacks.

Reply to
James Knott

I am trying to wire my daughters room so she can have internet and share files with the rest of us in the family. Anyways its not working. Here's how i have it set up. I ran a 100ft of cat5 cable in the attic...from the room with our linksys router to my daughters room. both ends of the cat5 are attached to keystone jacks. I have a cat5 cables with preinstalled rj45's running from the jack to the router in one room, and from the jack to the pc is my daughters room. The link light will not light up on the nic card. I have tried another cat5 cable, and wired and rewired the connections on the keystone jacks. I switched the orange and green wires and tried them crossed and standard. Nothing is working. Am i missing something?

thx

Reply to
www.ttdown.com

I wired B on both ends, A on both ends and A/B as you suggested and i still do not get a link light. All PC in our house are connect to a linksys router. no light on router as well...

Reply to
www.ttdown.com

yes i do. I tried two different cat5 cables too. very frustrating to say the least...

Reply to
www.ttdown.com

Very frustrating, I'm sure. You seem to be doing all the right things, yet it still doesn't work.

You will not need a crossover in this loop PC-router. First, try a different router port. Router ports often die over time & electrical storms.

Second, I presume you're doing punchdowns correctly, and the wire is solid core.

You probably have an "open" or short somewhere. Patchcords, jacks, cable. Those are hard to find.

For a DIY, the easiest thing to do is swap "known good" patchcords then if not, conclude it's the wall wiring. A more definitive test is wiring a jack for loopback, then checking pins 1&2,

3&6 on the far end of each patch cord with a DVOM. Once/if the patchs ring true, plug'em in, one end with the loopback and DVOM at the other end. This tests the wallwiring & jacks. Open will show immediately. Shorts give lower resistance, particularly different from each end.

My regrets. This isn't easy.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

If there is no link light on the NIC in the computer, then that shows the NIC is not receiving a signal. If there is no light at the router it shows, I believe, that there is no signal being received there.

So the cable could be severed somehow in the middle. To fail to send and receive is slightly unusual. If you happened to have had a kink in the wire, though, and then given it a hard pull during the installation it's possible that that caused this type of failure.

The port in the Linksys could be dead as mentioned earlier.

The NIC card could be dead on the computer.

The NIC card could be misconfigured in the operating system of the computer. I would kind of leans towards investigating this. Have you double checked the hardware configuration in the operating system? If it looks OK, then maybe try setting it up with a locked down configuration such as 10BaseT, half-duplex, something like that.

I'm sure that you were overjoyed when you finished everything and then this cropped up. I would guess that we have all been there.

- greg knopf snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
g.t. knopf

As was mentioned by me and another, check for continuity and shorts.

Reply to
James Knott

okay, i rewired the cable to the keystone jacks and hooked up the cable running from another room on one end and a 6 foot patch cable to the other and plugged it into the router and it works fine. But it still doesn't get a link light when i run a patch cable from the jack to the router and a cable from the other end to the pc in my daughters room. hrmmmm...

Reply to
www.ttdown.com

If I'm reading correct, it sounds like the wall cable between the jacks is good. That's a big relief. One or both of the patch-cords is bad -- swap one at a time.

Or is it the NIC is bad?

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Yeah it was good. I got it working now! I had a port out on the router and two of the three 6 ft cables were bad. I just kept trying the wrong combos of parts..hehe thx for the help guys...

Reply to
www.ttdown.com

formatting link
wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe you should get a cable tester. You can find cheap continunity testers on eBay for ~12.00

Reply to
Lucas Tam

I have couple cable-related suggestion that you may look at after you made sure your PC does not require a NIC driver installed before you can see the NIC in your system (applies to older PCs normally, but you did not post details about your PC) and also made sure you are not accidentally trying to connect to WAN port of the router instead of its Ethernet switch ports.

Are you sure you used the little termination guides that are in most cases printed on sticky labels on the sides of the jacks? The trick is to make pair #2 (orange) connect to pins #1 and #2, and pair #3 (green) connects to pins # 3 and #6. One other thing to check is whether or not the pin layout scheme is the same for both jacks. It does not matter if it's a T568A or T568B as long as it's the same on both ends. Here are the pin layouts for your reference:

formatting link

If all the above checks show that pinouts are OK, there is (unfortunately) always a chance that you might have pulled on the cable too hard while getting it through the attic. This is a delicate stuff, and 25 pounds of pulling force will permanently damage electrical characteristics of a CAT5E cable (it will never pass CAT5E test but may still work as a lower grade cable), and a pulling force close to 75 pounds may simply break a pair or two apart, rendering it completely useless.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.