Newbie question re connecting wall sockets

Newbie question, sorry.

I have a router in one room at the front of the house, and I want to connect it to a PC in a room at the rear. So I want to run a cable between the two rooms, ending in wall-mounted face plates. Then I'll use ordinary patch cables to connect (a) the router to one face plate, and (b) the PC to the other face plate.

My question is, should the cable connecting the face plates be wired straight through, or should it be crossover (hope I've got the terminology right!)?

Thanks.

Reply to
Peter Charlish
Loading thread data ...

The cable in the wall (ie between the wall plates) should *always* be wired straight unless you plan to drive someone else nuts at a later date. That person might be you.

In the rare case you need an x-over cable it should be one of the patch cords and it should be clearly labeled as such.

Reply to
Al Dykes

I go with the concept that x-over cables should be no longer than 6-10'.. beyond that, use a straight cable, and put an adaptor on the end where you need it, either a short crossover cable + coupler, or a jack/pigtail adaptor.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Since the teleco supplies red cross-over cable with their DSL modems, we adopted red cables to denote a cross-over cable. If we have to make up one, we place an inch of red heat shrink near both ends.

We also keep a six inch cross-over adapter "null modem" in field kits for like working on web cams that are mounted up high and can't swap a cable or connecting two laptops together. Also have a few "gender changers" for testing stuff - that way we don't have to reach around equipment to swap cables, just pull one end out.

I suppose Bob's idea above is to just simply keep cross-overs out of the landscape to avoid confusion.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

For future reference, crossover cables are generally used between 2 switches. Most everything else gets punched/crimped to the "B" code, which is straight through. Remember, a plate or panel is only pass through device that acts as an extension of the initial run. You could also consider just putting in a wireless router ...

Reply to
scolio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.