New Home Wiring Questions

A friend of mine has asked me to help them wire there new home for voice and data.

I am looking for recommendations on what to use? I see these composite cables out there, but there doesn't seem to be that many manufactures. The most common one I see is by Belden, and I'm leery of it because of this bonded pair thing they use.

I'm also wondering if QuadSheilded RG6 is needed or unnecessary?

We are looking to run 2 CAT5, one voice/one data and 2 RG6 cables to each location. Everything will run to a central location in the basement. Anyone have recommendations on what to use at that spot for termination? If anyone could give me some feedback I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the time :-)

Reply to
Matt Michaels
Loading thread data ...

My standrad recommendation is to wire as much of the house as you can justify and *then* plan for 100% coverage with WiFi.

Depending on the size of the house this might take two or more AP devices. You can figure this out with an AP, a long extension cord and a laptop and walking around.

The APs can go anywhere; closets, crawlspaces, etc. They don't need

120VAC power since you'll power then over the ethernet cable (PoE). Pull it to all the AP locations. You don't need to put an AP anywhere until you need WiFi in that part of the house.

You never know when you are going to want to pu an Internet Radio somewhere, use a VIOP cordless phone, or put a network printer somewhere where there is no jack.

IMO it's about the cheapest thing you can do to futureproof your house.

Reply to
Al Dykes

I actually buy some middle compliant (rated for SAT) RG-6. I see no reason to use any Belden composite cable. A couple or more cat-5e and a couple of RG-6 run to a common closet should do.

When you get to the basement, you probably want to terminate as a minimum, 1/2 the jacks on a patch panel, and put the longer cables on a 110 block under the patch panel, or get something like a used 48 port patch panel and make your own bunching block out of the spare pairs. We do this all the time for both residential and business where they share a line for phones/games/modems. It's easy to take the last 6 or 8 or 12 jacks and loop the 1st and 3rd pairs together (568B) for dial tone.

THe only thing I didn't do when I did my own house was I forgot to run a sleeve into the crawl space for future growth to change out the existing cables. It wasn't much fun to redo cables when we added a PC to the music room and a computer workstation behind the buffet in the dining room :-)

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

I'd love to see pictures of what you're talking about. I am also building a house and planning a central location for all wiring. Does anyone know of web sites showing pictures of central wiring? Any chance someone would like to post their setups here?

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
fsgkme

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.