Network in new house

Hi there folkes,

I'm currently in the process of adding an extension to my home and I'm interested in adding network connections in each bedroom.

At the moment I connect to the internet using a 56k modem via my telephone line. Depending on where in the house the internet is needed, we have to run a long phone cable from the telephone's wall socket to the room in question.

I'm also trying to establish at the moment if broadband is available in my location - I think it is, or will be soon. A friend of mine has it and his telephone company (the same as mine) supplied him with a netopia 3341 asdl modem which he connects to his telephone line.

formatting link
This device has an a Ethernet, a dsl, and a usb interface. I've had a look at the various PCs and laptops in my house and two of the PCs have a

Intel PRO/100 VE Network Controller, one has a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (also has a Intel PRO / Wireless 2200BG N C) , and another has a Via Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adaptor. My PC has no LAN connection but I have usb connections and I could always buy an adapter for it. We also have a Belkin 802.11g - 54Mbps wireless usb net adaptor.

As far as I can figure out, the Netopia is for use with a single PC.

I think I'm also right in saying that I have two options here, one is an ethernet LAN and the second is a wireless network. Can anyone suggest which is the most sensible for my situation?

Lets say I was to go with a Lan. I think I'm right in saying that this will require a star topology with one room acting as the hub. I will then need to install rj-45 sockets in each room, with each of these rooms then connected to the hub room, using UTP (10baseT) cables, correct? Therefore the hub room will need multiple rj-45 sockets installed in the wall, in order for each room to connect separately to the hub, correct? I would therefore need to install a wall plate similar to this -

formatting link
I will also need to install the telephone line in the hub room so that I can interface it to the internet connection. My friend also got an In-Line DSL Filter with his internet connection package.

formatting link
So I could use this to split my telephone line, in order to continue using my telephone as normal and direct the ASDL to the hub room. Am I making sense?

An electrician is calling out during the week and he will be installing the conduits etc. for the light switches, before the walls are plastered, so I'd need to make up my mind pretty fast as to whether I need him to add conduits to carry the utp cables to the rj-45 network ports etc.

If anyone can offer me advice, or correct me on any of the information I gave above, I'd love to hear it. Any suggestions regarding a hub (switch). I think I will be connecting 5 rooms in total to the hub room.

Thanks,

Barry.

Reply to
bg_ie
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Run 2 RG 6 coax and 2 CAT5e cables to each room from a central location. That will be the center of your star topology. Your cable TV, telephone, and network will originate at that point.

I would suggest running a CAT5e from the telephone demarc to your "hubroom" and placing the DSL filter there, with the "phone" port going to a punchdown block for the telephone cables to your new rooms, and the "DSL/HPN" port going to your Netopia 3341, which will then go out to your outlets. You will probably need to place a switch on one of the ports of your 3341, as it only has a 4-port switch and you are going to have 5 network outlets.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

formatting link

Run cat 5 to the desired locations. WiFi is fine for those locations where you can't run cable. You can get patch panels, where you can terminate several cables. The cat 5 cable can be used for lan, phone and adsl. Place the filter near where the phone line enters, then connect the adsl modem to a firewall/router box and then from the box to the jacks. You may need an additional switch or hub, if your firewall/router doesn't have sufficient ports. You can use the same cat5 cable for both ethernet (except gigabit) and phone.

Reply to
James Knott

Rather than run cables everywhere, I'd run empty conduit everywhere from a central location where you can put your central electronics. You can do plastic conduit easily yourself, the only tool you need is a saw and a hammer. Leave the empty boxes behind the unbroken plaster, and put an iron nail in each corner of the box so you can locate it with a magnetic stud-finder later. Staple a copy of the as-built drawing to the wall in your wiring closet area showing the box locations. When you need some sort of cable someplace, locate the nearest available box and cut through the wall to gain access to the box. Pull in the cable and slap a wall plate with connector on it. Do be careful to maintain fire stops.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Thanks very much for your help everyone. I have one problem remaining. I can get my hands on a single or double Cat5 modular wall plate easily

-

formatting link
But in the hub room I will need at least 5 rj-45 plugs connecting each of the rooms to the hub. How should I handle this? I was trying to locate a 6 gang Cat5 Wall Plate but they seem impossible to find. Any other tidy way I might approach this?

Cheers,

Barry.

James Knott wrote:

formatting link
>

Reply to
bg_ie

Any place that sells networking stuff should have the various keystone modules, panel, boxes etc. I've seen boxes that hold several modules. Another possibility, is a patch panel, where you bring the cables into one side and the jacks appear on the other. There are also wall plates that handle two or three modules. Any reason why you couldn't use multiple plates?

You can get some ideas from here:

formatting link

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.