Network connection only stable @ 10mbit.

Have an interesting issue with one of my LAN connections. No matter what machine we hook up to it, and no matter what speeds the LAN card is capable of or how it is configured, we can only get a stable network connection when it is plugged into a 10mbit hub (and the workstation normally there is capable of Gigabit speeds).

The wiring in the walls between this users office and the server room is Cat5 UTP and we've used our (new to us, so we're still somewhat getting used to it) AEMC Wire Mapper Pro to verify that the wiring and patch cables at each end test out OK.

Does anyone have any clue how I can test further. Is it possible that our Wire Mapper might be fibbing to us? This is the Presidents office, so I need to come up with something better than shrugging my shoulders. TIA!

Reply to
mwalsh
Loading thread data ...

Did you check duplex setttings??

If thats ok, Id repull a new cable. What category of copper is that computer connnecting to?

Joe Perkowski

Reply to
Perkowski

I would agree with Robert, it could be something like a split pair. When using a tester that tells where it is in the negotiating a link proccess, split pairs will usually fail and auto-negotiate, or will show a link light, but not actually get a connetion (as in not getting an IP when using DHCP). Also, if its Cat5, you could have some low end connectors/cable along with bad install which would cause this as well. Can you make out a brand on the connectors/patch panel and cable? How does the termination look? Is the jacket stripped way back, or is it close to the jack?

Reply to
jtodd5 dot 1

You've likely got a bad connection or misswired cable.

Reply to
James Knott

I'm not familiar with the AEMC but this sure sounds like a case of a split pair. What jacks are you using at each end? Which color code, T-568A or -B? Who made the patch-cords? You could swap them out for known-good.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

network

shoulders.

If your tester cannot test for split pairs (and many cannot), then your tester is not telling you the whole story. If you test it with the right tester, you will likely find that there is a split pair. Or just cut both ends off and repunch them down again, and then see what happens.

But of course, if you repunch them incorrectly, then you will still have the sam problem.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

According to the manufacturer's web site, the tester in question does test for split pairs. There's probably a minimum cable length required for split pair detection, but that should only be an issue when testing patch cables, because the minimums are so short.

Reply to
Michael Quinlan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.