Needing some help

I am finishing my 1600 sq ft basement and am wondering about phone lines. i have already run the six CAT-5E cables i need for voice and the 3 seperate CAT-5E cables for data. I have them all going to one central location. now this is where i'm lost.

I have all these cables labeled and ready to go, but i don't know exactly what i need. i've been trying to see about a 110 block or 66 block something. i have a cable modem and a voip router that i put in the same centralized location (star topology). i have an idea of what to do and want to see what yall think about it.

For my data, terminate on each of the CAT 5E end and just run it all through my voip router, since it has 4 ethernet ports (one for cable internet uplink 3 for the rest of the rooms). hope this works because it is simple. lol. any suggestions would be great though.

Ok, now my voice. this is where i get confused. my voip router has a CAT 3 connection coming from it. how in the world can i distribute the voip from the router to my 6 CAT 5E cables i have designated for voice? do i use a punch block or something similar. i have punched down copper pairs before, but someone was there telling me where to punch everything. any tutorials or pictures or directions would be VERY helpful here.

i would assume with voice i only need to use one pair (most likely the blue). I think i am going to go ahead and get my second pair (orange) ready though, since my voip router has support for a second line. i may go ahead and get a fax set up.

i refuse to pay a ton of money for someone to come out and get everything ready. Running the cables is the hard part, and that's done! any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
John.M.Allison
Loading thread data ...

Running the cables is easy compared to wiring the jacks when it isn't you day job.

Here's something that will simplify your voice wiring at the home run locations. Especially if you're inexperienced.

formatting link
But ranting about costs of skilled labor isn't very productive to getting answers here. I do my own wiring. I'm not a "pro". I even do some very small office work. But I don't disparage the pros. And I call them in when I want 100 pair terminations on a wall re-arranged.

Reply to
DLR

I'll find my diagram for a job I did for a customer with the same set up as you have. I'll post the link later this evening.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

I appreciate the replies. I'm not putting down any pros for what they do. i actually do fiber work for a living and I understand what you are saying. I just feel that with a little research and some advice from those who have done this, i would be able to take care of this without the added cost. it would make me feel good to know i can do it anyways, and maybe help others inthe future.

anyways, like i said before, i have all the cables run and i have installed the jacks as well. i am just trying to get some input on my configuration. the link you sent was great. the $40 block looks simple to install and the use of use is exactly what im looking for.

my coax configuration seems to be fine, as well as my data network :)

i am just a little confused on my phone network. do i terminate the cat

3 cable coming from the voip router to the block? to go from cat 3 to cat 5e is just a mind boggler to me. this part is just confusing the heck out me!!

thanks again.

Reply to
John.M.Allison

It appears the confusion is a simple mixing different terminologies. But that all right, its easy to explain.

CAT3 and CAT5 simply describe the bandwidth capacity of the cables, jacks, plugs, and blocks. 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps respectively. You can terminate either on a four pin jack or eight pin jack (even though you won't find a four pin plugs CAT5 rated, there's nothing to prevent it from handling 100 Mbps, but a non-CAT5 jack might not have the necessary internal wiring for a CAT5 rating, i.e. an RJ11 biscuit block).

Jacks and plugs are described by pinout and by usage. A four-conductor jack/plug when used for a telephone line (usage) would be called an RJ11 or RJ14 and rated for CAT3, and an eight-conductor jack/plug when used in teleco usage would be an RJ45, but we don't call it an RJ45 as the pinout s not T586A/B compatible, nevertheless it can be rated CAT3 or CAT5.

So on to your VoIP router. It has an JR11/14 jack that is defined with the center pins for line one and possibly the two outside pins for line two. Its what you are referring to as a CAT3 jack.

Best way is to make your own patch cord with a four pin jack on one end using solid conductor cable. The jack MUST be made for solid conductors. Most jacks you find have two in-line pins and are only good for stranded (silver satin) cable, but Home Depot has them with the three pins where the center is offset for solid cable. Simply punch down the other end on the white/blue pair of the CAT5 cable going into the rooms.

If you can't find the proper jacks, you can strip back a silver satin cord and splice some solid conductor pairs, its not a critical connection.

Now..if your VoIP router supports two phone lines on the same jack (it would be called an RJ14 then), you want to splice the outside pair to the "next to inside" pairs on your house patch panel (orange pair if you used the T568A scheme or green pair for the T568B).

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.