need help with cable drop of 500 feet

I realized that cat5e cable have a limit of 100 meter. What would be the best solution if I need to do a cable drop of 500 feet?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

Actually the best solution is to put in a midspan repeater, or use fiber. The cost of the fiber and media converters will be about the same as a midspan repeater, and gets around the need for power for the repeater.

Reply to
Justin Time

There are reports of 10Mb ethernet running over distances greater than

100meters. I'm summarizing what has been said. I have no first hand experience.

Wire loss seems to be the limiting factor and you want to buy wire with the lowest possible DC resistance, ie the lowest gauge number.

You need devices at each end that have enough managability to have the interface speed set to 10Mb/half duplex. (I don't know if the HD is important.)

You can experiment with wire on the spool to see if the 10Mb works with the hubs you've got before you pay to have the wire pulled.

If the reliability is important to you I recommend getting tested spares for the hubs for the day you have problems and want to test by substitution.

If this is for use between buildings you should be using fiber instead of copper. That eliminates the distance limit but costs more.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Yeah. Definitely go fiber if at all possible.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

A pair of fiber transceivers or Cisco Long Reach Ethernet (LRE) devices will do for Ethernet connectivity. Fiber is obviously faster (and most likely cheaper, too).

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Understanding that any solution here is outside of TIA standards (for the fiber guys, I'm assuming that this is considered a horizontal run not a backbone, so by standards still needs to be under 100m)...but I know from 1st person experience of a run that is nearly 650' that is working just fine at 100mb full-duplex. The install was done with OSP rated Cat6 cable (as it does transition from a building to a temporary trailer), Cat6 equipment at both ends. If I remember right, it was tested to Cat5e (as that was all that was required by the end user) and only the length test failed, all others passed. In the last couple months, I've seen a couple other way non-standard things work far better than I expected (Cat3 cable punched to Cat5 equipment failing Cat5e NEXT by only 0.2db, 10base2 cable passing Cat5e with ease and connecting at 100Mb f/d). So I'm coming to the conclusion that just about anything will work, it's just a matter of how far out of spec you want to be. Just to note, I'm a by-the-book-standards type of person. I'll only resort to these above mentioned things when absolutely no other option fits.

Justin

Reply to
Justin T. Clausen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.