Need advice for a wall-mounted patch panel for home network

Not sure if I understand... you want a "rack" that mounts between studs, and a panel that mounts to the rack? Is there a reason you can't just surface-mount a panel?

Perhaps you're talking about something like the FutureSmart panels? (see

formatting link

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas
Loading thread data ...

I am finishing my basement and need some advice about terminating the network feeds from around the house.

I initially was going to bring them all into a square wiring box, but realized that since I would be actually making the connections via switches and routers that are outside the box (on shelves) the square panel is not really needed.

What I am looking for is some sort of rack mountable patch panel that is 16" wide so it will go between the studs in the wall. The panel itself would slide/disconnect from the rack for wiring, but the rack itself mounts permanently between the studs so the drywall can be cut around it.

Does something like this exist?

Reply to
BIOSMonkey

Cheap way would be to use a standard 19" patch panel and stand it on end--run some blocking to support it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. The futuresmart panels, though, are very expensive and a little overkill. I just want something with 24 cat5e/6 jacks to connect from the wall to the switches.

The only reason I wanted a rack is so that there is a box in the wall for the drywallers to cut around. I guess if I have to I'll just drywall it myself or build a wooden box. That would certainly be the most cost-effective.

Reply to
BIOSMonkey

Standard racks are 19" but you dont need one. Bring the cable into the stud bay and mount a piece of 3/4" plywood to one side of the studs using hinges. Cut out a 2 inch opening in the plywood and mount your

110 block over it. Bring the cables in from the hole under the block and punch them down. You don't have to use a hinge - you could just mount the plywood with screws on both sides - but it makes it easy to get inside to access new runs. You can see how I did this using a door height peice of plywood at:
formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

The standard EIA rack sizes are 19" and 23". There has never been a 16" size that I know of.

HOWEVER -- I faced this same issue at one time. I solved it by obtaining, through Graybar Electric, a wall-mounted mini-rack made by Homaco. It mounted neatly on 16" center studs, and provided a standard

19" space to accommodate network wiring panels (and a small hub for a time).

Look here for the Homaco wall racks.

formatting link
Happy hunting.

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Check out

formatting link
They have some plain vanilla boxes that are priced a little better.

Reply to
BruceR

If it were me, I'd probably wait until the drywall's in, then put in

6x4-way low voltage wall plates with appropriate wiring. Total cost would be about a hundred bucks, almost all of it for the keystones. That is, assuming I understand what you're trying to accomplish.
Reply to
CJT

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.