mission critical home made cables

Hi

My friend is working on a project where he will be changing over a bunch of offices from a BT WAN to NTL.

the final part of the change over uses a patch cable to plug NTL's network termination equipement into the main office switch. (and then disconnecting BT).

where BT and NTL's NTE kit is in the same cabinet, a short factory made patch cable will be used to connect from switch to NTE.

This cable will carry ALL WAN traffic for the whole office - in one case more than 100 computers running applications hosted remotely at telehouse, london.

however, where the new and old kit are in different cabinets, maybe 10 metres away, he is considering making up cables using pretty much any reel of cat5e thats kicking around and rj45 connectors from maplins / b&q.

can anyone direct me to any web resource (white papers / horror stories etc )on the web that will help me convince him this is not a good idea.

Or do you think it will be ok?

Thanks

MJ

Reply to
anonymous
Loading thread data ...

anonymous wrote in part:

Highly unlikely. First, does your friend have the knowledge to correctly make a cable: Know T-568A from T-568B? know stranded from solid plugs? Know how far to crimp?

Second, it is economically losing: a decent set of crimpers costs far more than a factory-made patch-cable. Pros almost always use factory-made.

Third, that reel of cable is most likely solid-core and even the very best of crimped plugs will have some unreliability due to work-hardening.

But why should you care? It's not your job (or mine) to convince him to do the right thing. He can make his own mistakes, and ought to research sufficiently. You don't want to deprive him of a needed lesson!

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

The contradiction in the subject of this request are all I would use. If it's mission critical and the decision maker understands that issue then home made cables are nuts. If the decision maker doesn't come to this conclusion then well, it's his decision.

David

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.