Looking for advice on Telephone / Network System within UK

Hi,

Am looking for some advice on a system able to cope with approx 500 extensions with some 90 lines in. Ideally I would like to be also carry computer network traffic via the same system and possibly Sky to 400 of the rooms.

I don't know whether this is possible on one fibre optic cable ? or whether I am looking at installing separate cables for Telecoms, data, TV. How does the cost of setting up fibre optic compare to normal CAT5 ?

The development area is approximately 200 acres.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Reply to
Simon
Loading thread data ...

You really need an on-site consultant for a project this large.

Reply to
C7

most pbx manufacturers are able to extend remote cabinets via fiber, so that you have the 'main' or primary cabinet in one location with several other 'extended' cabinets in remote locations. the actual telephones will wire out from the extended cabinets via cat5/cat3. that would solve your phone issue. while you are laying fiber for the phone system, toss in some extra and you have solved the data issue.

-- 'one' fiber optic cable could have many actual sets of fiber pathways similar to traditional buried phone cable. as far as Sky is concerned, ( i assume it is a video service) hummmmm... i am sure you could find video-to-fiber converters or video-to-data converters which would allow you to shoot the video over the fiber optic setup.

of course, the bottom line is, you really do need an on-site consultant.

C7 wrote:

Reply to
john smith

Good Morning I am not in the UK but if you need 500 extensions with some 90 lines you will be wanting to get a PBX of use voice over IP. As far as the coverage area you might want to concider a wireless system that will allow you to connect over a large area. But that will depend alot of line of site and other structuers. Fiber Optic cable has come way down in price and is easy to install now a days. I would NOT recomend using the 50 micron fiber. I would recomend using the single mode insted as it is fast and the hard ware is out now and getting cheaper. You can run voice and data over fiber. You will run into a small problem though if some one decides to put a modem on there phone line. Running data to voice to data does not work well. Good luck and thanks for reading through all the typeos.

Reply to
cameron

My first advice would be to seek help of a professional systems integrator, and you may find that your Sky satellite connections will have to be handled by a separate specialized dealer/installer.

You can probably accomplish most of it (sans Sky) via the same CAT5E cable if you use VoIP phone system, and all your phones are equipped with Ethernet switches or at least hubs.

The size of the area definitely calls for multiple closets.

It is possible to implement everything via fiber, but you cannot power anything through fiber, therefore every phone set will have to be connected to local power outlet, and will also have to be connected via fiber-to-copper transceiver.

With that said, the way I would first approach the task, I would propose multiple closets with (2) two CAT5E cables to every outlet; preferable two outlet locations per office/room on opposite walls. You'll also need (1) RG6 cable to every room for TVs. The closets will then be connected to a central one via backbone with multimode fiber optic for data, multipair copper (2 pairs per phone ext.) and RG11 cable for TV.

All in all, the task of designing the system is way beyond a scope of any newsgroup message, so, once again, seek help of a local systems integration company.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

You will need fiber for data. For 90 inbound lines, your telco may prefer to feed you fiber. You also need a proper consultant -- too many variables.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

"Simon" wrote

If this is some sort of leisure development, for TV you might look at systems like

formatting link
- from DFDS ferries to Gleneagles Hotel
formatting link
- used on ResidenSea, the multimillionaires' condominium houseboat

Newsgroups uk.telecom and uk.tech.digital-tv might be of interest.

formatting link
does television distribution cabling systems.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.