Leasing network cable infrastructure

Only in America.... just left a meeting with a large university that we are loosely associated with. We have been on their network (full internet access) and we are now putting in our own routers, swithes, and our own ISP but we are still in their buildings (paying rent). We used to pay a jack charge for each device we had pluggged in, it was a very heffty amount. Now that we are putting our own stuff in they still want to charge us a monthly cable fee fro each device. ?? Does anyone pay to use a dark wall jack into a dark closet ??

Let me hear your comments, please - I need your feedback!

Reply to
netmon
Loading thread data ...

netmon wrote in part:

Well, I'd say it's part of building infrastructure, and yours to use as part of your rent. If it's dark, it's not a service.

However, if they want to be difficult, you can be difficult right back: Tell them you're going wireless, you won't want their wire, and they'd better remove it to meet the new NEC.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Yes. Landlords charge all sorts of fees for whatever they think they can get out of their tennants that are seen as a resource.

I assume you didn't pay to put the wiring in, they did (at some point in time), so its their property. Even if a previous tennant did, its considered a permament upgrade that reverts back to the building owner after they are gone.

I suppose standard lease language now-a-days should outline fees for using structure that is already there, instead of assuming its free.

In my building, they charge for each cable in the riser that you'd run, but not for using the structured wiring that was here. Landlords long ago started charging roof access rights for putting up antennas.

That sounds like they are just bitter at losing some revenue from you though. I'd negotiate, but you should have some choices to backup your negotiations.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for your input...... I'm on the same page!

Reply to
netmon

But you'd better not be bluffing, because tear out cable is the option some particularly bureaucratic organizations will settle on. Their motivations are not money but "face"

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Please explain this to me. The new NEC requires unused JACKS to be removed?!?

Reply to
DLR

I think DLR is actually referring to the cable BEHIND the jacks, or more specifically the cable that eventually runs into a plenum space. The "new" (2002) NEC says that unused cable must be removed or physically tagged as "For Future Use". So...all the landlord has to do is arbitrarily claim the cables are for future use and not have to remove them.

I assume the NEC is targeting the pre-plenum installations that burn more readily than non-combustible or low combustion plenum cable jackets.

Interestingly, the European Union is banning such fire resistant cables because they contain fluorine, instead of chlorine. PVC = polyvinyl chloride. PTFE or TFE (Teflon) = polytetrafluoroethylene. When PVC decomposes under heat, it releases hydrochloric acid and phosgene (a popular WWI poison gas), whereas the Teflon releases hydrofluroic acid - far more toxic and corrosive. As I recall, this came to light after the Falklands War when the fire related smoke inhalation injuries to British seaman was greater than expected using the fire resistant cables.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.