I'm Getting Sick and Tired of This

Back in Jan, Feb and Mar I replace the same jack not once, but twice because it got wet from moisture in the wall, and the contacts corroded so badly that they literally fried themselves to pieces. It rained yesterday, and another RJ-14 jack at a different campus went bad. It, too, cooked itself to the point where the two middle contacts were just black crumbs, the two outer gold plated contacts stayed intact.

I'm getting really tired of this. The first two were Leviton jacks, the last one was a biscuit made by armiger. I guess our digital PBX just puts out too much power to each phone. The last time I had this problem was many years ago. Something about things happening in threes..

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

formatting link
email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
formatting link
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:
formatting link

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th
Loading thread data ...

You can't do much about the pins in the jack, but have you tried some RTV on the back of the jack? It will be a REAL pain if you have to replace it again, but it may do some protection if the problem is due to moisture at the punchdown side.

Reply to
Justin Time

That's also an old trick, for when you replace car batteries.

Reply to
James Knott

Try a old trick from my Telco days. After you replace the jack, coat the connections and the cavity inside of the RJ with Petroleum Jelly, then insert a new mounting cord from the telephone. I used to carry a small tube in my toolbox for just these situations. The PJ will act as a water blocking gel, once you stop the moisture your repeat repairs should go way down. It should not effect the electricals of the telephone circuit. BTW the NIDs that servive providers use also have a gell in the jack for the customer side of the line.

------------------------------------- Wats> Back in Jan, Feb and Mar I replace the same jack not once, but twice

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 1927 messages and counting!

Reply to
Jgolan

For car battery posts you're better off with wheel bearing grease. It sort-of seals out the air, and has compounds in it to help neutralize acids and stabilize oxidized metals.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott Packard

Or perhaps the stuff they sell in auto parts stores, specifically for the task.

Reply to
James Knott

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover" posted for all of us...

I didn't see this; would it be feasable to mount the boxes to the wall surface?

I wonder what's going on inside those walls; for all that moisture/mold.

Tekkie

Reply to
Tekkie®

Siemon (and probably others) make jacks with gel already inside them. Of course, I forget what they call them but I've seen them around a lot.

charles

Reply to
charles

Yeah, thanks for the good advice, everyone. Maybe we should repair the bldgs so they don't leak water inside when it rains. :-P

Reply to

formatting link

comp.dcom.cabling - 2017 messages and counting!

Reply to
avcomdesign

The connection Charles is talking about is made to block corrosive effects of humidity, saltwater, chemicals, water, dirt, and other contaminants.

I saw the best testament to the effectiveness of the connection in Grand forks, North Dakota. In 99? a flood claimed most of the city. All of the electrical and phone services were disabled. The only connections that worked after they activated the new phone switches on were connections from Suttle. Complete submersed and under water for over two weeks the connection maintain the integrity of the circuit. If you have other underlying problem please contact me @

formatting link

The specs for the jacks and how they work are linked below.

formatting link

AV ComDesign Registered communicati> Back in Jan, Feb and Mar I replace the same jack not once, but twice

formatting link

comp.dcom.cabling - 2017 messages and counting!

Reply to
avcomdesign

Well, this week I think I've found another intermittent or dead phone that was caused by water leaking into the bldg. The 66 block contacts were turning green from corrosion, and the buildup of green between on the block itself was obvious. I have to go back over next week and do some cleaning to see if I can get it to work okay. It's an old green can on the wall of an old bldg with a 66M4(?) block in it. Like the old

1A2 installations used wherever. If I had the time, I'd run a new cable back to the MDF, but the cabling is tied to power conduits way up in a garage ceiling, and I think they are much higher than 16 feet above the ground. I taped a tone tracer on the end of a 10 foot conduit so I could hold it up there to trace the wiring, but it's so high that I can't reach it with my arms extended above my head. Figuring 10 feet for the conduit and 7 feet for the height of my hands, I'm still a few feet short of reaching it. So I don't even want to consider dragging a huge ladder over there to do it. So if I have to, I might just cut off the 66 block and punch the wires down on another one that's not corroded.

Last week we had our Publications Dept move across town to a completely new bldg. They have some very old printing presses and new state-of-the-art Xerox machines that are out in the middle of the floor. So they had the electric contractor come and put in power drops from the high ceiling. Big ol' rubber cables with 3-phase, probably 12 gauge or

10 gauge stranded. They just left their ladder in the middle of the room because the socket for the old plugs had to be special ordered and will it be 'a few days', more like a few weeks. This ladder is at least 16 feet high, and is all aluminum. I'm thinking that these sparkies are courting disaster with an all aluminum ladder! But then one of the electricians has big spider webs tatooed over each of his elbows so I guess they know what they're doing. ;-)
Reply to

Have you tried Suttle's Corroshield product with the gel in the jacks to prevent corroding?

formatting link

Newwiringguy

------------------------------------- Wats> Back in Jan, Feb and Mar I replace the same jack not once, but twice

formatting link

comp.dcom.cabling - 2207 messages and counting!

Reply to
newwiringguy

I don't know anything about Suttle. I use only Systimax jacks, faceplates and surface mount boxes or the Leviton 110 series. I've never seen any of their products with gel in them. Thanks.

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.