I gotta get out of the cabling/telco field

LOL

Same people who turned down the new phone system 2 months ago if you guys remember. Well, anyhow the MESS they got is unreal....I may take pics today and post them....they got 5 Cat 5e lines taped with duct tape from building to building, they have 4 other Cat 5e lines taped with electrical tape for about 100 feet (cheap man outdoor cable I guess? LOL) buried variously through the length of 100 feet.

Then they got there electrical service drop wrapped around a tree drooping down to about 5 feet off the ground. LOL

They me the dummy goes in there to repace a fax line with a new outside cable drop I punch down on the block and its so old the $*@$*&@$*@$* block disintegrates due to dry rot. LOL

The line was still working though and I left it at that, cause they too cheap to fix right which I told them they need a new 66 block. No good they say.

So, now I have to go back out there....Im getting tired of it!

LOL

Reply to
Joe Perkowski
Loading thread data ...

Yeah...that Merlin system.

Get pictures, because if anything goes wrong, err...WHEN something goes wrong, it'll be a case of you were the last person working on the system.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

You mean, wrapped around with electrical tape for 100 feet? Man, that's not cheap man's that's an idiot's OSP 'cause the tape is not all that cheap at all compared to the PE jacket of your regular OSP cable. I can't even think about the time they wasted on wrapping it, too!

I would have to say this is rather unusual, so don't let this single job make you think about changing a career ;-)

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Does it go to the Phone Closet from Hell?

formatting link

Reply to
David Lesher

Yes it does LOL though not as bad as those pics

The blocks are so dry rotted I cant even punch down on the damn things....I tell them about it and they look at me like I got 4 heads....LOL

So, I rigged it up with a new bisquit jack to bypass the blocks.

Meanwhile, the company is developing a huge housing development worth millions...LOL

Later

Joe

Reply to
Joe Perkowski

And to mention not waterproof in the long, or even short run. Even if you splice gel filled cable and don't seal it in a splicing case, water is going to migrate in the cable. It may take a few years, but the pairs will eventually go bad.

And let me guess...they used white nylon ties to hold it all up. Those fail after just one summer, at least in the hot Texas sun. The black UV ones will eventually fail too after several years.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.